Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adusting my valves and my exhaust valves are right on but my intake valves are at 0.08mm. I have been riding in higher elevations than normal and have fmf 4.1 full exhaust ehs racing lid with uni and ehs programer. I recently read a thread that says when above i think it was 5000ft to take settings down on programer because air is thinner and recommended programer settings for my set up were calibrated at sea level.
so i have been running rich for the last 40 hrs or so.

does anyone have an idea of why the intake valves are out of spec, is it normal for the intake to lose clearance? and is this a result of running rich?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone that has had to adjust your valves, which valves were out of spec, by how much and what mods do you have?........Im just trying to get an idea of what the most common adjustments made........thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
theres a few threads if u look on mine it might help u out.. titled HELP

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's very common for valves to become a little tighter, especially on a newer machine. The heat/cool cycle causes metal expansion and then retraction, but sometimes things don't retract all the way back.

Always remember that running a little fat is much better than running lean.

·
Registered
201 Posts
intakes will tighten up from lack of air filter maintenence too. the abrasive dust and dirt gets smashed inbetween the seat and valve making it wear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess i kind of freaked out a little thinking it was something that i caused. I do ride in dusty areas, i clean and oil my air filter after every ride, but oh well

·
Registered
323 Posts
I guess i kind of freaked out a little thinking it was something that i caused. I do ride in dusty areas, i clean and oil my air filter after every ride, but oh well
It would take some serious seat wear to tighten up the valves even .001"

Don't sweat it...they all do that! If you adjust yourself, always have someone show you the first time. I always adjust a little on the loose side, but this is something you need to have shown to you so you can feel the difference between tight and loose...

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
valves need to be adjusted now and then its pretty normal thats why they are adjustable. a lot of bikes will just stay in spec and not really ever need much adjustment some may need to get adjusted after break in occurs then they are usually pretty good until they start to wear out. Its when you adjust them then they go out quickly is when its usually time to change the valves freshen seats etc. follow the specs in the factory manuals for servicing them unless you have a aftermarket cam then you need to note what they have for specs.

you also need to get a feel for what type of drag means tight. i dont like flat feeler guages either they work but get some right angle ones they make the job much nicer. Make sure when you get them set and then you tighten them down if your not using tappet adjusters you dont tighten past where you had them set seems silly but i think thats where a lot of people have issues.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Also, even though you clean your filter after every ride, everytime you take off the filter, you have a chance of some debris getting into your intake. So just b/c you clean your filter religously (which I do as well) you still can get stuff in there just by removing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts