Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if I absolutely have to have a tuner to safely run my Lexx slip on? I just bought all the parts for my full build but don't plan on putting it together until next winter, and I plan on keeping the slip-on on until then. My only other mod is a EHS style airbox lid. OK or too lean? Anyone with long term experience without a box?

·
Registered
370 Posts
you could run it without the programmer and most likely be fine.. but i would highly recomment a programmer to be safe and it will run 10 times better. for 210 dollars you can get a ehs programmer thats what i would do because it will run a tad lean without it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Close, but no cigar. Lol. Thanks for the quick reply. I performed a valve adjustment about 2 months ago and found no evidence of burned or overheated valves, but had only been running the pipe for a few weeks at that point. If someone can confirm long term use of a slip on with no cooked valves or valve seat degradation, I'll have a much more comfortable mindset about it. If not I'll throw the stock can on it until I'm ready to go all in..

BTW my plug doesn't show too much of an issue. The ground strap doesn't indicate a temp issue, and the insulator isn't burnt at the ridge of the shank. General color is very light brown/tan, showing a slight lean condition but no sign of combustion issues.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Close, but no cigar. Lol. Thanks for the quick reply. I performed a valve adjustment about 2 months ago and found no evidence of burned or overheated valves, but had only been running the pipe for a few weeks at that point. If someone can confirm long term use of a slip on with no cooked valves or valve seat degradation, I'll have a much more comfortable mindset about it. If not I'll throw the stock can on it until I'm ready to go all in..

BTW my plug doesn't show too much of an issue. The ground strap doesn't indicate a temp issue, and the insulator isn't burnt at the ridge of the shank. General color is very light brown/tan, showing a slight lean condition but no sign of combustion issues.
With the above in mind, I'd say you should be OK. Our quad and many others are a bit lean from the factory... your slip on and air box mod may make it a bit more lean. When an efi controller IS mandatory is when you really change the air flow.... with a full exhaust, air filter, motor mods, etc.
An air box lid doesn't really change the air in because you still have the restrictions of a stock air filter and cage. A slip on will change the air out a bit, but not that much because of the stock header pipe.

roadkill

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I'm just curious if I absolutely have to have a tuner to safely run my Lexx slip on? I just bought all the parts for my full build but don't plan on putting it together until next winter, and I plan on keeping the slip-on on until then. My only other mod is a EHS style airbox lid. OK or too lean? Anyone with long term experience without a box?

If you have the parts all ready, why not put on the controller? I'm sure someone could help you out with the map. And if going full build, you will need a power commander. And they have custom maps there for you to use as a base...

ie: 16-004-003 FMF slip-on exhaust, Stock air filter, Air box lid removed

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
A stock 700xx runs better with a programmer. Add an aftermarket air filter or just a modified airbox lid. It runs better with a programmer. I ran a EHS lid, 250r Uni filter, EHS programmer and the rest of the motor was stock, even the exhaust. You get the best out of the motor running programmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts