Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here in washington state they are NOT atv/ohv friendly!!:steamed: when we buy a atv/mx/utv the registration tags money is suppose to go to dnr and back into trails and such. well the politicians here stole our money and gave it all to the state parks.. i dont know about your state parks, but here in washington you cant drive offroad vehicles in any state parks!!!!so there basicly saying:birds: to us atv.mx/utv users.. there is a lawsuit trying to get it back but who knows..
it seems like some states understand that atv'ers bring in $$$ to there area.. oregon is a little friendlier, but even they are trying to close down the oregon dunes for riding...:confused::mad::steamed::nuts::eek:hno::lol:
so i am curious, what states are atv friendly? i know idaho, and utah are.. i am seriously considering moving to where i can ride and not be hassled like a outlaw biker in the 70's. :cry::cry::cry:

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I do know about Washington... I've ridden there a couple times near Naches, WA.

I'd say that California is OK as far as places to ride and there are state parks that are just for OHV use and we can ride in many national forests and BLM land (certain BLM land that is)... But like Washington, we've had our sticker money stolen by the state... they say the borrowed some sticker money, but I say they stole it. I live in San Francisco and there are 3 of these OHV areas within 2 hours of me.

It's such a shame about Washington, there could be just killer riding up there.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I agree with roadkill it is not to bad here in ca we have quite a few places to ride however they have put quite a few laws in place about how we ride. db level, no passengers, helmet law well that ones good and a few others.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so california stole the atv funds also, interesting!! i am betting a lot of states have done the same thing!! it's so funny to me, how some states let you drive through rivers,creeks, no helmets.. and then some states, dont let you ride anywhere. where i live they have issues with old trails and bridges not being wide enough for some quads and utv's.. trails aren't marked the width. they are 1 way , then you get to a bridge thats to narrow. some people find there way around by crossing streams and others go back wrong way on trail, then get ticketed..
so where in northern california is a good riding area? i plan on staying away from washington and oregon this summer. lots of road trips to idaho in my future!!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
so where in northern california is a good riding area? i plan on staying away from washington and oregon this summer. lots of road trips to idaho in my future!!
There a a lot of places to go its nice cause almost all forestservice roads are green sticker friendly. up in my aread (redding) we have a nice ohv park that goes around shasta lake. and we ride around shasta lake when it is really low in the summer. the samoa dunes are fun but small as well

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
PA are real good friends with us and I would say 50% of our fees do go towards the trails, they are always building new trails, they're just slow but that's ok. Best part is that they don't really give us a hard time if we ride on dirt roads, it's basically the local communities that give us a hard time and that's mainly due we have allot of NJ and NY people that have their second home here and we all know how they are. Utah is one of the best states that are friends to ATV/UTV and 4x4

·
Registered
667 Posts
Arizona was amazing, you can ride everywhere, i even say some people on the roads. Parker is nothing but trails, the local gas station sells 100 octane at the pump for atv's Virginia dosn't have much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the great feed back.. amazing how 1 state so different than another.. i am going to definitely going on road trips this summer...
i would like to try the lake shasta thing myself:D what time of the year would be best for it? if any of you northern cal guys/girls come up to oregon let us washingtonstonians and oregonians know.. maby check out winchester bay before they close it to us...youtube winchester bay, or banshee hill.... banshee hill is 1 of the main places they are trying to shut down...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Your not alone New York politicians are the biggest crooks on the planet, we were givin federal grants to helpbuild trails along with the registration fees they started collecting in the 1980's all got rolled into the states general fund. Gone, all Gone! only private clubs and some local munincipalities have helped out.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
There a a lot of places to go its nice cause almost all forestservice roads are green sticker friendly. up in my aread (redding) we have a nice ohv park that goes around shasta lake. and we ride around shasta lake when it is really low in the summer. the samoa dunes are fun but small as well
You forgot about Stonyford... just killer trails (Forest Service land)
Try the links below for various Cal riding areas...

Areas list... click on "view details" for more info for a specific area
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/california_list.htm

Samoa Dunes link (BLM land)
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_12364/ride_5ea4.htm

Stonyford OHV
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_03033/ride_1957.htm

Shasta OHV
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_03650/ride_0e84.htm

One note about Shasta is that they may soon reinstate their permit process to cross the top of Shasta Dam to get to the staging area. It's a major dam and they used to make people get permits to go across... you know, the 9/11 thing.

Any time you want to come down this way, just let us know and we can probably put a good ride together.

roadkill :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think Wisconsin is fairly good. I wish they would pass the UTV's as being trail legal in more area's. They are fighting for that currently. It would be nice if they were as friendly the ATV's as they are Snowmobiles. But all in all they have fairly good trail systems in area's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I feel for all you guys that live in non friendly atv states. Where i live in tennessee, close to the n.carolina line (here that scuzz) it is freakin awesome. The tree huggers however have gotten one from us recently tho (tellico orv) due to the fact that we may be getting their trout dirty. But we have orv parks that are both privately owned (wind rock, brimstone, blue springs) and parks that are run by TWR tenn wildlife refuge (royal blue). So scuzz get all settled in and if you wanna travel over one state: we can show you some of the most technical trail riding youve ever heard of... Oh Yeah and as of yet it has only cost us a $12 dollar sticker if we wanna ride on state land...

·
Registered
160 Posts
oregon is a little friendlier, but even they are trying to close down the oregon dunes for riding...:confused::mad::steamed::nuts::eek:hno::lol:

Yeah, we've got a battle on our hands with this one. The atv community is getting blamed for everything from spreading non-native plants species, to killing non-native plant species (really not sure about their logic in blaming us for both.:confused: But I don't think logic enters their thought process...); we're blamed for everything from noise, to male-pattern baldness. Obviously we don't need to be shooting ourselves in the foot with loud exhausts and irresponsible behavior. But, that is just part of the equation. The anti-atv crowd has been emboldened by the cultural and political popularity of the "green" movement, and they are raking us over the coals.

If anyone has ridden, or currently rides the Oregon Dunes, you know that it is a unique experience. Few other riding areas are quite like it. At stake is the loss of 75% of the riding area. There is currently a move to try to get some focused organization within the Oregon atv community to combat this, but we need to spread the word and get more riders involved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, as stated above, Wisconsin isn't too bad. I dont have any riding experience in other states, but there's more than enough trails to keep my friends and I busy, and personally I like riding the snowmobile trails best. Snowmobiles DO get better treatment (example: if the trails are open, any snowmobile that's registered can legally ride on them. However, if the temperature is above 28 degrees [Fahrenheit], ATVers cannot ride on the trails. It kinda sucks because a lot of times, 28 degrees and up is a good time to ride because it isn't so friggin cold. I do understand issues with slush and open water, etc.)

The DNR wardens don't bother much except on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends, and when they do it's mainly checking for noise and spark arrestors. MOST of the time they're pretty good though, and I dont pay much attention to the politics, etc. but the WI DNR has done a decent job with trail maintenance and such.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I feel for all you guys that live in non friendly atv states. Where i live in tennessee, close to the n.carolina line (here that scuzz) it is freakin awesome. The tree huggers however have gotten one from us recently tho (tellico orv) due to the fact that we may be getting their trout dirty. But we have orv parks that are both privately owned (wind rock, brimstone, blue springs) and parks that are run by TWR tenn wildlife refuge (royal blue). So scuzz get all settled in and if you wanna travel over one state: we can show you some of the most technical trail riding youve ever heard of... Oh Yeah and as of yet it has only cost us a $12 dollar sticker if we wanna ride on state land...
yeah i would like to get in on some tennessee riding too i will go sometime just need about 10 day notice so i can get off work i live in southern ala frickin bama!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.