Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ITP has wheels and tires available for the XX now. Unfortunately they are not offering an 11-inch rim. You can get sweet looking sand kits that come with a 12-inch set. I still don't know about a 10-inch rim on the XX. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.itptires.com/newproducts.html

·
Registered
221 Posts
i couldnt get any 10s to fit. with that much rubber id hate to see the weight of the tires (provided they kept the 22").

if they went to anything smaller ...id really wonder how someone could actually keep the tires grabbing ...the way it stands ... this xx properly tuned has a hard enough time getting 11" tires to grab.

My thoughts are this ... the thing has 11 more hp than anything else ..which is a lot out of the box ..tune it correctly ..and it has more like 20hp more than anything else... you need serious rubber...and im not about to modify my quads suspension or parts to fit a 10" wheel because ITP is too arrogant to make an 11" wheel.

wait for the maxxis 11"ers ...it wont be long.

of course there are those that will disagree just because they want some wheels/tires for this beast ... but im assuming there is a very basic reason Honda made 11" for this quad besides the obvious.... and youd think if 10" was better they would have released it with 10" wheels/tires.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with your assessment. But I'd have to think that ITP must have done some homework to be sure that the 10's would work in order to sell them. At any rate, they only have 1 tire that is a 22, the Holeshot XCT. I'd rather go with the Razr anyway and stick with the 11.

How do your Razr's handle? I'm curious as to how the additional width of that tire over the OEM set affects the handling.

·
Registered
221 Posts
well .. if im not trying to keep the front end on the ground (the rears grab!) the quad effortlessly slides from side to side while turning ..provided you are moving...thats the trick that we must learn... in comparison to a SRA. In other words ..one definite advantage is ... you get the wheels turned and hit the gas ..and vroomp hit the throttle and the rear does the work turning... make sense?

so from a stand still ..it turns for shit because its lifting up the front ... but in motion ..i could probably do a complete 180 in 3rd and keep moving.

I can understand and appreciate why they have the additional weight ..its definitely needed to keep the front down haha.

and those 10" wheels WILL NOT fit with the mud scoops installed.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I know exactly what you are saying in regards to handling. The XX pushes real bad at slow speeds and turns like crap...but who rides slow anyway? If you like to putt around, the XX is NOT the machine for you!

I'm sure that the pushing/turning is affected even more by the wider rears with the more aggressive tread. But I bet those front Razrs make a huge difference, don't they?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have found it easier to rear brake lock slide the tight turns! Cheers, Jeff

·
Registered
221 Posts
lock slides huh? I actually havent even considered taking that approach ...actually going aorund a TT track you are completely correct. I read your post and tried it ... works like a charm .... slid around turn one hammered the throttle ..dumped the clutch ..and vroooom over the jump.... another tight left ... dump clutch ..throttle .. lock slide to the right ... throttle all the way around to the straight away again... im guessing i was hitting 50-60 mph using your suggestion instead of 40-45.... ty for your suggestion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
lock slides huh? I actually havent even considered taking that approach ...actually going aorund a TT track you are completely correct. I read your post and tried it ... works like a charm .... slid around turn one hammered the throttle ..dumped the clutch ..and vroooom over the jump.... another tight left ... dump clutch ..throttle .. lock slide to the right ... throttle all the way around to the straight away again... im guessing i was hitting 50-60 mph using your suggestion instead of 40-45.... ty for your suggestion.
No Worries, Cheers, Jeff
I am looking for tyres now, and are going to try 22x11x10 Turf tamers on 10" douglas rims!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know what you are saying about the slow speed push....She really likes a lot of throttle...I've got her cornering smartly now....
I imagine most of you guys know this already, but for any new people here......
Before buying new tires, Buy yourself a GOOD air pressure gage and play with your air pressure. Amazing how much difference 1 pound of air either way can make in the handling and feel of the machine. And nobody can really tell you what is the right air pressure for your weight or ridding style and ridding surface.
6 pounds rear 5 1/2 front feels about right for me.......

·
Registered
310 Posts
I know what you are saying about the slow speed push....She really likes a lot of throttle...I've got her cornering smartly now....
I imagine most of you guys know this already, but for any new people here......
Before buying new tires, Buy yourself a GOOD air pressure gage and play with your air pressure. Amazing how much difference 1 pound of air either way can make in the handling and feel of the machine. And nobody can really tell you what is the right air pressure for your weight or ridding style and ridding surface.
6 pounds rear 5 1/2 front feels about right for me.......

You are right about the tire pressure. I have tried everythig from 4.5 to 7 lbs and settlrd on 5.2 according to the guage. That seems pretty good for the stock tires, mostly trail riding with an occasional jump or two

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you grind back the stops down at the bottom of steering column with a dremel the 700xx will turn like it should. Did it to mine and it will turn good at low speeds,I ground it back till the wheels were close to stops on lower control arms..........

·
Registered
340 Posts
Boys, I think ITP has had those wheel packages for some time. Dont wait for 11" over priced Razzars, go the Kenda Kutter. The main downfall with 10" wheels there is no drive shaft boot protection when offset they just hang in the breaze waiting to be torn to peaces.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you grind back the stops down at the bottom of steering column with a dremel the 700xx will turn like it should. Did it to mine and it will turn good at low speeds,I ground it back till the wheels were close to stops on lower control arms..........
How much did you have to take off at the stops?

Boys, I think ITP has had those wheel packages for some time.
Did you take a look at the dates? Old post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Grinding back steering stops.

How much did you have to take off.

Did you take a look at the dates? Old post.
I took off around 1/8 - 3/16 the main thing to look out for is where the wheel comes near the lower control arm. I can turn as sharp as a trx250ex and es. You won't be dissappointed it makes rolling slow manageable. I also went down to a 13 tooth gear on the engine drive, it now has great low speed characteristics. Shoot some black paint on it and it looks like it came that way. You will like it..............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts