Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to install it, and sounds pretty good. Not too loud...just about right.

I am going to install the factory header plate with some silver reflective tape to help keep heat away from my leg a little.

I get this whistle noise after shutting it down...anyone else hear this noise?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Never heard a whistle noise from mine. Did you use silicone on the header/slipon connection?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whistle = an exhaust leak btw.

Could be. It's not while running, atleast I didnt hear it. It whistles only after i shut it off. I thought I applied alot of that silicone....most of it got squeezed out.

Maybe I need to run it a few minutes and let everything settle in. Regardless, it sounds nice.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Maybe as it's cooling and sucks in a bit of air it whistles through the spark arrestor

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the 4.1 and it whistles a couple times on shut down only. I'm guessing it has to do with the shape of the exit and the slow down of air flow at shut down, but im just guessing. when i ride behind my xx you can really hear the exiting exhaust "slap" the air. sounds kinda like if you put ur hand behind the pipe and the exhaust slaps ur hand, only on decel tho. i dont hear mine whistling or leaking during riding. this mysterious whistle is only on shut down and on mine its random, not everytime.

Also found a place in NV that fixes dented pipes for $25 plus shipping, if ur not happy with repair, u don't have to pay. www.motocrosspiperepair.com

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the 4.1 and it whistles a couple times on shut down only. I'm guessing it has to do with the shape of the exit and the slow down of air flow at shut down, but im just guessing. when i ride behind my xx you can really hear the exiting exhaust "slap" the air. sounds kinda like if you put ur hand behind the pipe and the exhaust slaps ur hand, only on decel tho. i dont hear mine whistling or leaking during riding. this mysterious whistle is only on shut down and on mine its random, not everytime.

Also found a place in NV that fixes dented pipes for $25 plus shipping, if ur not happy with repair, u don't have to pay. www.motocrosspiperepair.com

Yep, mine also is on shut down only.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK...the whistling sound is comming from the aluminum round plate at the end of the can held in place with one alen bolt. I removed it and the whistle went away...not sure why it's there except that it may be inplace of the spark arestor.

I am attaching pictures of the stock plate that I used on the powerbomb header...went out riding for about 10 minutes with shorts on and it worked perfect..it got warm but not burning hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
would you mind recording a sound clip of it?

Jeff and I would be eternally grateful.

I recorded a sound clip using my blackberry, but not able to upload the file....its says invalid file.

If you want I can email the file to you

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeh i wondering when you installed the 4.1 did you need a juice box or a efi optimizer.
I finally got to install it, and sounds pretty good. Not too loud...just about right.

I am going to install the factory header plate with some silver reflective tape to help keep heat away from my leg a little.

I get this whistle noise after shutting it down...anyone else hear this noise?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts