Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting the K&N air filter setup and running it with a pre-filter and no air box lid. Bad idea? Would I see any improvements? I ride in the woods and dunes. I know everyone recommends the Uni but the K&N is way cheaper.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
ummm... where did you find a K&N cheaper than a UNI? the UNI is by far less expensive, and works better imo... but to answer your question, no, it's not a bad idea. what other mods do you have?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Supposedly the ehs lid flows like an open lid box and is already prefiltered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A filter would be my first mod. I found a K&N kit for about $65 shipped on amazon. Every Uni kit I've found is over $100. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? And i've heard about the EHS lid but I am trying to go the cheapest route for now..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'm starting to see some. Don't you need one of those collars that I see in the expensive kits, though?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. Now I'm just wondering if there's a performance advantage to having one of those collars. What would be the point aside from a higher profit for retailers? Also, has anyone ran a Uni and then swapped it for a K&N or vise verse? Just wondering what performance advantages and disadvantages there are between the two.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just bought a uni from rockymountain atv and paid 38.00 with shipping. The only thing you need is oil for the filter before you install, other than that you are good to go

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Nice. Now I'm just wondering if there's a performance advantage to having one of those collars. What would be the point aside from a higher profit for retailers? Also, has anyone ran a Uni and then swapped it for a K&N or vise verse? Just wondering what performance advantages and disadvantages there are between the two.

Personally I don't think you will notice to much either way. Not saying increased airflow won’t improved the performance, just imo not that noticeable. That said I'd still replace the stock filter once the factory is dirty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
uni vs stalk

Do uni's flow better than stalk ? arn't they both just foam ? k & N 's flow more if you keep them clean. What is the advantage to a uni or are they just cheaper than oem.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Do uni's flow better than stalk ? arn't they both just foam ? k & N 's flow more if you keep them clean. What is the advantage to a uni or are they just cheaper than oem.
The foam flows better. Also the stock air filter cage is SUPER restrictive where the UNI one is not

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
You'll be fine if that's all your going to do is take off the lid

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed the Mod Quad K&N kit with Pre Charger and the EHS lid. I went with K&N because I use their filters on all my vehilces, easy to maintain. I didn't notice any performance change and there was a bit of dust in the airbox after a quick ride but the filter is clean. So far I'm happy with this setup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts