Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Disclaimer - Using this method will disable your stock engine kill switch

This is the K&S Kill Switch I installed: http://www.bikebandit.com/k-s-kill-switch-tether-line

*Note - Any "Normally Closed" kill switch will work

Tools Needed:
Phillips head screwdriver
scissors
wire strippers
soldering iron
shrink wrap
electrical tape

Estimated Time: 15-30 minutes

Step #1

On left side of handlebar, locate stock engine kill switch. Unscrew (2) phillips head screws on back of assembly. Pull apart assembly. Using your scissors cut back wire loom to expose the wires and allow easier access to them.

Locate wires to stock engine kill switch - Black wire with Green stripe and Black wire with White stripe. Cut and strip wires.

Step #2

Cut (2) 1 inch pieces of shrink wrap. Using solder and soldering iron, tin blk/green stripe and blk/white striped wires on harness side. Mount Kill switch to bar and tin the 2 wires from switch. Solder wires from switch to the blk/green wire and blk/white wire. It does not matter what wire u attach, they are not polarity senitive.

Step #3

Wrap wires with electrical tape very well. Mount stock engine kill switch assembly back onto bar. Turn key and start your ATV. Pull the tether to see if your engine will shut off. If operational tests are satisfactory, then you are ok :yay:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Nice write up

I will be doing this in the near future but I haven't found a kill switch that I can use yet I'm about to just make a new mounting plate for my dummy lights and put one in it

My bars are full no room for anything up there plus the tag bars taper to 1-1/8 so its impossible to securely mount it to the bend but ill get it figured out soon

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thank you very much!!
I have this switch and wasn't sure how to wire it up. Now I'll be able to race this weekend for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Just a note to compliment this post.

If you put the kill switch in-line on the black and white wire you can still use the stock engine kill switch.
There is more room under the hood to wire it in.
Fitting a normally closed tether switch this way cuts all the electrics. Just the same as turn the ign key to off .
Basically if you pull the tether the electrics shut down and if you forget to turn the key off , it does not flatten the battery. Quite handy ,when you have no idiot lights mounted. :D

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts

If you put the kill switch in-line on the black and white wire you can still use the stock engine kill switch.
Fitting a normally closed tether switch this way cuts all the electrics. Just the same as turn the ign key to off .
Basically if you pull the tether the electrics shut down and if you forget to turn the key off , it does not flatten the battery. Quite handy ,when you have no idiot lights mounted. :D

Why are you always one post ahead of me on these things. To add to this, I would go this route, that way you can still use the kill switch when normal riding and don't want to put the tetherswitch on your body. This is wha tI do and just wrap the tether cord around the handlebars.

·
Registered
258 Posts

if your going to do it this way and remove the tape to expose the wires rathe than pull the switch housing apart, just be aware that there are two black wires with white traces, ones for the run/off switch and the others to the starter button,

when i put mine in i was in a rush and accedently got it wrong and didnt realise as when i tested it i pulled the kill switch and pushed the button and nothing happened, it wasnt till i got told i couldnt race caus i failed scrutenering due to kill switch n/w, as they had it running and pulled the switch and it didnt shut off,

·
Premium Member
217 Posts

I know its a old post but i have to ask something.
So you take the black and white cable, cut it, solder it with kill-switch with the two ends of the cable you end up with?

·
Registered
24 Posts
So you take the black and white cable, cut it, solder it with kill-switch with the two ends of the cable you end up with?
I am curious on this too...

·
Registered
194 Posts

baxter...do i run one of the wires from my kill switch to the black/white and the other wire from the kill switch to an earth

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Great job on the write up

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ended up placing the tether switch on the right side of the handle bar and wiring it the ignition switch....works great.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Being able to use both stock engine stop switch and the tether switch to stop the motor.

baxter...do i run one of the wires from my kill switch to the black/white and the other wire from the kill switch to an earth
On a "normally closed" kill switch you want to cut the black/white trace wire and solder in the two wires from youre kill switch to the two ends of the wire which you just cut. If you are worried about cutting the wrong Bl/Wh wire ,you can cut the Black/Green wire and solder the ends into it. All you have to is cut the power in this circuit. This is for a K and S Kill switch which only has 2 wires.
The type I used was a Gunner Gasser one which uses 3 wires. The 3rd wire goes to earthing point on the chassis.

i take it you could bare the outer sleeves of the wires back and hook onto them and it will still work..?
No, this wont work because it wont interrupt the circuit. It needs to be inline and not mounted in parallel.

I hope this helps. It was along time ago when I did mine and I did away with the switch housing and used a RMZ(I think) kill switch for the starter switch.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Being able to use both stock engine stop switch and the tether switch to stop the motor.

On a "normally closed" kill switch you want to cut the black/white trace wire and solder in the two wires from youre kill switch to the two ends of the wire which you just cut. If you are worried about cutting the wrong Bl/Wh wire ,you can cut the Black/Green wire and solder the ends into it. All you have to is cut the power in this circuit. This is for a K and S Kill switch which only has 2 wires.
The type I used was a Gunner Gasser one which uses 3 wires. The 3rd wire goes to earthing point on the chassis.

No, this wont work because it wont interrupt the circuit. It needs to be inline and not mounted in parallel.

I hope this helps. It was along time ago when I did mine and I did away with the switch housing and used a RMZ(I think) kill switch for the starter switch.
cheers...got it now...:thanks:

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
What killswitch/tether ya runnin ?
Ok, I am slightly worried. I went on Vito's website and they only seemed to sell a "Normally Open" kill switch.
Elio please check wether you bought a normally open or normally closed kill switch.
The wiring for the open and closed kill switch is completely differant.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok, I am slightly worried. I went on Vito's website and they only seemed to sell a "Normally Open" kill switch.
Elio please check wether you bought a normally open or normally closed kill switch.
The wiring for the open and closed kill switch is completely differant.
baxter...your talking to a thick joiner here..:confused:..:))
how would i know..all i can tell you is it has two wires
and came of a wolverine450 and was wired to solenoid
and an earth ..worked ok on the wolf..:))
knowing me it will be the wrong one..:))

·
Registered
194 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.