Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Knoxville, TN and ride on real rocky trails.

I was 15 minutes into my second ride with the Kenda Kutter 22x9-11 rears and my Buddy pulled up and said my right rear tire was flat.

Anyone else having problems with the side walls holding up in rocky terrain?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Nope, i ride dried up creekbeds and really sharp rocks, not a problem. But you have to ride wisely and know to try to stay off sharp ledges.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What tire pressures are you running?

I dropped down to 4.75psi in the rears for the ride, since it had rained a bunch the night before.

I've read that more pressure prevents flats, but I would think if the sidewall has more give, it would be Less prone to puncture... what am I missing here?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

I dropped down to 4.75psi in the rears for the ride, since it had rained a bunch the night before.

I've read that more pressure prevents flats, but I would think if the sidewall has more give, it would be Less prone to puncture... what am I missing here?
I agree with you all the way. As far as reading higher is better, I don't belive this or can I understand it at all. If tire has less pressure there is more give, and there for less chance of a puncture. I run my rear Kutters around 3-4 lbs. Higher if I am just going to be on the blacktop, for better speed but only like 5lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking of using my damaged tire as a tubed spare for out of town rides.

I have a question for you guys that have used a tube on an offset wheel like our rears. What type of valve stem did the tube have...

1) Was the stem offset on the tube (to bring the stem more to one side of the tube)
2) Did the stem have a 90 degree bend?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts

More psi does prevent punctures.

I agree with you all the way. As far as reading higher is better, I don't belive this or can I understand it at all. If tire has less pressure there is more give, and there for less chance of a puncture. I run my rear Kutters around 3-4 lbs. Higher if I am just going to be on the blacktop, for better speed but only like 5lbs.
Most punctures are caused by the sidewall flexing ,hitting a sharp edge and bingo you have a flat. Running a higher pressure makes the ride a little harder and skittish on hard packed greasey surfaces but the sidewall flexes less.A small price to pay for never needing to change a flat tire.

What he said^^^. I am running in the 4 lb range.
I never run less than 8 lbs in my tires whether it be 2,4 or 6 ply , I have cuts in my tires but in 8 years of racing , never had a flat. I flip the tires over now and again , so the outside becomes the inside but I am saying you are wrong. IMO.
I got this info from 2 guy's I know that have 16 British Titles to there name.
Sorry but I race most types of racing , just have Supermoto and supercross then I have tried everything except desert racing. This will be an expensive one as I may have to come over to the US.:D

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
How ever you try to explain this it makes no sense to me. And I have yet to cut a tire, and I'm sure you have seen the videos of the terrain I ride. I would rather my tire flex over a sharp object, than not flex and then bingo there's a sliced tire. Hell I ran my stock tires till they were almost bald in the mountains of West Virginia.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

Most punctures are caused by the sidewall flexing ,hitting a sharp edge and bingo you have a flat. Running a higher pressure makes the ride a little harder and skittish on hard packed greasey surfaces but the sidewall flexes less.A small price to pay for never needing to change a flat tire.
:D
After reading this again, I guess I understand what your saying as far as higher pressure prevents a side wall cut. But I would think it would dbl your chances of getting a tread side flat. IDK I just like to ride...

·
Registered
821 Posts

I never run less than 8 lbs in my tires whether it be 2,4 or 6 ply , I have cuts in my tires but in 8 years of racing , never had a flat. I flip the tires over now and again , so the outside becomes the inside but I am saying you are wrong. IMO.
I got this info from 2 guy's I know that have 16 British Titles to there name.
Sorry but I race most types of racing , just have Supermoto and supercross then I have tried everything except desert racing. This will be an expensive one as I may have to come over to the US.:D
I am not a racer. But I have been riding atvs for 20+ yrs. I always run between 3-5psi in pretty much all tires I have ever had. I don't have flats. My stockers went over a year with no air added, almost 2 before I went to kutters. I would still put stockers on and go. I have never run over 5 in the kutters. I run jeep trails, rock ledges, creek gravel, freshly broken trails, pretty much anything. But since I don't race or have a trophy i am bullshitting. I am not comparing myself to anybody. But i have been born and raised a farmer, raised around dirt track racing, truck pulling, tractor pulls, rockcrawling, mudding, drag racing and have never heard more pressure is better.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I am not a racer. But I have been riding atvs for 20+ yrs. I always run between 3-5psi in pretty much all tires I have ever had. I don't have flats. My stockers went over a year with no air added, almost 2 before I went to kutters. I would still put stockers on and go. I have never run over 5 in the kutters. I run jeep trails, rock ledges, creek gravel, freshly broken trails, pretty much anything. But since I don't race or have a trophy i am bullshitting. I am not comparing myself to anybody. But i have been born and raised a farmer, raised around dirt track racing, truck pulling, tractor pulls, rockcrawling, mudding, drag racing and have never heard more pressure is better.
First off , If you read somewhere in my last post that I was calling you a bullshitter then I apologise, this was not my intention.

Back on topic. running higher tire pressures is only better for puncture prevention and keeping the bead on the rim. Would I recommend going to 10 psi to another forum member , No . The the downside to running higher pressures is tire tread wear. you said you had some stock tyres that lasted 2 years , if you ran 10psi in the rears they would last about 4 months. Running more psi equals less traction because the tires slip and slide more and may not be exactly what you want going up a steep rocky climb.
I am also a farmer and have no trophies.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Running more psi equals less traction because the tires slip and slide more and may not be exactly what you want going up a steep rocky climb.
I am also a farmer and have no trophies.
Case and point, If you run higher pressure you say tires will "slip and slide more." Not what I would think you would want to be doing over sharp rocks. And yet you say this will prevent a cut tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My experience with Quads and Jeeps is that the lower pressure grants better traction in the rocky stuff but also increases the possibility of the sidewall folding and pinching between rock and rim. This is how most sidewall punctures occur. Lower pressure also increases the possibility of popping the bead (unless you have beadlocks). I guess its just a balancing act.

I run 5-6 psi and watch my line carefully when attacking the sharp granite stuff...

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I have cuts in my tires but in 8 years of racing , never had a flat.
This is what I posted.

And yet you say this will prevent a cut tire.
You may have missed this ! Quote me by all means but please don't misquote me.:eek:hno:

Running higher tyre pressure is less likely to have a cut that will cause a flat.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
This is what I posted.

You may have missed this ! Quote me by all means but please don't misquote me.:eek:hno:

Running higher tyre pressure is less likely to have a cut that will cause a flat.
So what is it, more psi does prevent punctures? Or is less likely to have a cut that will cause a flat?

Where I come from any cut tire will turn to a flat. But like I said a few times in this thread, I don't understand it nor will I believe more pressure is better. Less pressure adds traction and also dampens the impact on jumps, letting your tires soak up some of the impact. So for of road riding I run low pressure, but if I was just running around on flat track or road, I would bump up the pressure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have had both sidewalls get damaged on a new pair of Kenda Kutters. They both got cut at Chadwick, Mo riding area that has lots of rocky trails. The first day both of the tires were cut on the 700! I then rode a Z400 with Holeshot HD's for the next 3 days.
I am not impressed at all with the Kendas.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I too have had both sidewalls get damaged on a new pair of Kenda Kutters. They both got cut at Chadwick, Mo riding area that has lots of rocky trails. The first day both of the tires were cut on the 700! I then rode a Z400 with Holeshot HD's for the next 3 days.
I am not impressed at all with the Kendas.
Try the Holeshot HD's on the 700.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Over the last few months, I have learned I have to runner higher tire pressure's in my rear 700xx tires then I ever have in my 450R's. The reason? The 11" rear wheel. Not as much sidewall, so when you hit a rock, there is not as much "give" and you end up pinching the tire between the rim and the rock. The max rear tire pressure I would ever run in my 450R tires was 7 psi, but 5 was typical. (9" wheel.) All my rear flats on my 700XX have been while running 7 psi.

The first few flats I got I throught were due to rocks hitting the sidewall. I finally noticed that the puncture's were right where the edge of the rim would hit the sidewall when the tire was compressed. Just something for you guys who are puncturing sidewalls to look at. Started running 10 psi and haven't had a flat since.

So, in the case of pinch flatting, more air is better. Not really thrilled with the traction I get now, but not much I can do about it, alot less traction with a flat tire!

Doug

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Try the Holeshot HD's on the 700.

Do they make those in a 11"?

custom352,

If changing rim size, I'd recommend the GBC's from Discount Tire. They are a heavy tire but appear to be tough as can be, and great traction!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do they make those in a 11"?

custom352,

If changing rim size, I'd recommend the GBC's from Discount Tire. They are a heavy tire but appear to be tough as can be, and great traction!
no but i wish they did, theyre the best tire made, i have em on the front of the xx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts