Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
What is the advantage? Extended drain intervals?
Since EVERYTHING goes into the oil on a 700xx, clutch bits, carbon from the combustion process and so on having more oil to dilute it would mean less of a concentration of that stuff circulating through your engine. If you were say a baja racer that would mean better engine protection since you're WOT (I'm assuming) most of the time.

Even though the engine is water cooled and the radioator does an excellent job cooling the engine, it would be cool (no pun intended) if the larger capacity tank had some cooling fins or something like that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would still change it at my current interval of 3 rides regardless if the cooler holds an extra quart or not. It holds about a quart now, so holding 2 doesn't mean you should double the time between changes. Oil is cheap. Engines are not. I think the biggest benefit from a larger capacity oil tank would be a slight reduction of oil temp, thus increasing engine life.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I actually had the idea to make a finned Aluminum tank...to help cool also. It gets hot out here so any extra cooling helps

·
Registered
425 Posts
but actually come to think about it....even adding a Oil cooler would increase capacity..so thats another option also.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oil coolers are a bit stronger then the radiator...so i see it as a option for some but not all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oh I change my oil more than you then. Pretty much after each ride.
Why so much? I've done mine 3x and I have 4500 miles on mine.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
You guys that change ur oil in an OCD manner... Have u all grenaded an atv engine before. I have had several quads ltz400, trx450 and I changed the oil MAYBE 3 times a YEAR on those and I ride about 40 of 52 weekends a year. And I never had any problems with power loss or anything. What gives? How come u guys are so compulsive with oil changing?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Why so much? I've done mine 3x and I have 4500 miles on mine.
Like I stated earlier, oil is cheap engines are not. The money you save by not doing an oil change when it's due won't go very far towards an engine rebuild. Oil in these types of engines gets contaminated very, very quickly as SCUZZ pointed out. Everything from clutch material, unburned fuel, and carbon from the combustion process gets in there.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I change my oil at the recommended intervals with mobile 1 and have never had any issues. The contaiminents in this engine are no different than most other street motorcycles,(except harley). Keep your air filter clean and use quality oil,(not Honda's lowest bidder stuff),change at the recommended times and ride on!

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
The contaiminents in this engine are no different than most other street motorcycles,(except harley). Keep your air filter clean and use quality oil,(not Honda's lowest bidder stuff),change at the recommended times and ride on!
I'm not too sure about that.

I don't *think* that most modern street bikes use slipper pistons, although some do have wet clutches, but the slipper piston is a bad, bad thing for engine oil.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
21 Posts
How does a slipper piston create more contaiminents? Should just be the rings making contact with the cylinder. The only difference is the envoirnment and capacity. Which is why you should clean your air filter often. I would guess if a liter class motorcycle that turns 14,000-16,000 rpm with a wet clutch can go to it's recommended intervals, you should be ok on your wheeler.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts