Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a lever action rifle. Here's 2 of them I'm considering, both from Henry. Both can be chambered for .45, .44mag and .357/.38 special.

I'm kind liking the short (25 inches) at the moment... chambered for .44mag

What do you all think?

roadkill

·
Registered
821 Posts
What do you poan to do with it, then I will give you my opinion. I am not a fan of either caliber in a rifle. But they do have there good points.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
roadkill,
I like the longer rifle. The shorter one looks like it would be difficult for an adult to use. The stock puts the entire gun in a strange position to effectively position it in your shoulder area and then use the sights.
You should find one to test fit to your arm length and cheek. I am partial to the 45 Colt or the 38 Special. Just my opinion.
Sid

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
i have a henry and its a nice gun but is a little short for my liking dont shoot it much.

·
Registered
821 Posts
On a side note, I want a henry. In either 17 hmr, or 22. But I totally agree that the short one might be difficult to shoot, let alone get any accuracy out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd just be fooling around with it. I don't hunt. Can't bring myself to shoot Bambi type critters. However, I would protect myself and my riding friends from anything that thought we looked like lunch... mountain lion? Close range. That's also why I'd have it chambered for the .44mag rather than a similar rifle chambered for .22. The .22 is the same shorty rifle except in blued steel rather than brass.

The shorty is not really meant to be shot from your shoulder... more like shooting from the hip.

Also thinking about personal protection in my home.

Another gun I'm considering (hand gun) the S&W 500

roadkill

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have an Ithica .22 mag lever action... love the thing. Just as smooth as my dads henrys. With the elevation jacked up, its nothing for that thing to ping the steel plate at the range every time at 200yd.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Roadkill, go to a gun range and try a few hand guns and feel what they feel like. The S&W 500 should be a long barrel pistol. They kick like hell. .40 calibur in hollow point will take anything down if it is placed right. If your accuracy is bad then anything you use will not help. Even though you are not a hunter it is good to know where a kill point is on your target. I carry a .32 Keltec and know that if I shoot it at the face of my victim it will cause damage and back them off. Half the fun of owning a gun is shopping for one. Good luck.

Can't wait to see that rifle straped to your quad like on a horse. LOL

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would research the s&w 460. I think its a better cal than the 500. Plus you can get lighter loads for it like the 454 casull and I think 45 long colt. Just an option.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would buy the shorty chambered for .44 mag for self defense purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
For self defense I would get a 12 gauge with some 00 buck shot but out of these 2 I like the shorty.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Another gun I'm considering (hand gun) the S&W 500
That is a monster. My 44mag gets old pretty quick target shooting. If you are interested in shooting a pistol quite a bit, a 9mm is fun. I would have to go with the shotgun for home protection also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 460 S&W. It is an Encore I changed over to shoot a 460sw. It has a 14 in barrel and it is ported so it does not kick as bad. It is fun to shoot and at 25-30 bucks for 20 shells is not to bad. I use it for Deer hunting. I shot 2 does this year with it at 50 yards or so. It will put them down and if you hit them on a bone the bullet blows up and it will make a hole the size of a volleyball....I attached some pics of the gun and the hole it put in a deer a year ago. I have to say the 460sw is a badd ass gun and you better be a man to hang on to it. It does kick but not to bad you have to train yourself to shoot it. You can't just grab it pull it up and pull the trigger, well you can but you will not hit the target. Shooting a pistol with a scope is harder and you can't have a death grip on the gun or you will miss. Anytime I pull it out in front of some new guys them all just look at me like I am crazy but then they all want to shoot it. Most of the time when it goes off in the woods they all know it is me shooting because it has a loud bark...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts