Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the first year of mostly trail riding my OEM Dunlops are more than ready to be replaced. I'm looking for some advice on new tires. The majority of riding is on forestry roads and I'm on pavement 15-20% of the time to get there.

How well do you think the Kenda Kutter XCs would wear and perform on those kind of roads? I've read that the Kutters can be noisy and produce vibration on pavement. Don't know if that would be a major issue or not. I might be able to tolerate the noise and vibes as long as there is no undo wear on the pavement. The Kutter specs look good and robust but there're described as race oriented and therefore I'm wondering if they might be the wrong way to go for my type of riding.

There are not many rear tire options for 11" rims and I don't necessarily want to purchase another wheel size if the Kutters will do the trick. Maxxis and Carlisle do make 11" rim 23-24" diameter tires. I haven't heard of anyone using them on a XX. If I went in that direction I would probably have to drop a tooth on the front sprocket to keep the gearing close to using 22" rears.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
kendas front kutters aint all that bad in my opinioin ive had mine for a year now and holdin up great on pavement i cant notice a thing there smooth as there gonna get on pavement, hell they are an offroad tire not to be meant for riding on asphalt. i have 10 inch rear wheels with 22-11-10 GBC X-Rexs an there awesome too:xx:

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Are you just looking at replacing the rear tires for now? I've only herd the vibration talk about the front Kutters. I can assure you the rear's are smooth as can be at high speeds on black top! And they don't wear near as bad as the factory tires. Not sure on the fronts as I don't have them. tbird88 says there okay and that he is running the X-rex tires on the rear. Well if your looking at front tires too I'd check into some of these. Hell there under $47.00 each and are a Razr2 clone 6 ply tire in the same size as stock for the fronts. I wish they made a 11" X-rex tire. As my Kutters are half worn. Here's a price link, but if you buy be sure to use the site sponsor Discount Tire, they well beat the lowest price you find!

http://www.atvtirestore.com/cgi-atv...caf77&sbid=SSMSB1349667047.10949&redirect=yes

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow good to know!I was looking at getting a set of razr2's at almost 2 bills.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for the input.

I need to replace both front and rears. I was initially looking for kenda front and rears. Maybe I read the fronts were the source of vibs not the rear.

Doesn't look like Canada is a shipping option for Discount Tire so will need to find a Canadian shipping source for GBC if I go that route. I'm gad this site has a tire sponsor. Although its strange they don't offer 11" rears if they're sponsoring a XX oriented site.

So what do you think about Maxxis Razr2 for the fronts and Kutters for the rear? Will that combo work and wear ok for road trails and some pavement if I can't get GBC fronts to Canada for a decent price? Or will the Kutters all round do the trick?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
xinu, actually we do ship tires and wheels FREE to Canada. Since we are a non-resident importer to Canada we collect all taxes and duties up front so that when UPS delivers to your door there are no other fees due.

We have carried 11 inch tires in the past but are currently out of stock on them. We are working on another tire line to fill the gap.

We would be happy to assist you with all your other tire needs such as cars, trucks and trailers.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
So what do you think about Maxxis Razr2 for the fronts and Kutters for the rear? Will that combo work and wear ok for road trails and some pavement if I can't get GBC fronts to Canada for a decent price? Or should will the Kutters all round do the trick?
That's the tire combo I'm running and I like it a lot. Any off road tire will wear out on blacktop, but these will outlast the OEM dunlops by far! If it's not cost effective to use Discount tires maybe try these guys, I see on home page it says now ships to Canada! The X-rex tires look great I have them on the back of the kids Polaris, and they work great too!

http://www.atvtiresbarn.com/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Discount Tire - Do you have any info at this point you share with us regarding the ETA, Brand and Model of 11" tire you're considering?

Thx

·
Registered
461 Posts
Check out STI tires an wheels I have a set on mine 23 fronts 22 rears They make wheels for us.Find your nearest MTA dealer.:xx:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
STI Black Diamond ATR

Check out STI tires an wheels I have a set on mine 23 fronts 22 rears They make wheels for us.Find your nearest MTA dealer.:xx:
Thanks I checked out the STI Black Diamond ATR on their site:

http://www.stitireandwheel.com/2011/06/black-diamond/

Are they performing well for you so far?

They have potential fronts 22x8R10 and 22x11R10 sizes and a range of 11" rear options between 23-25" diameter. You probably have the 22 on the fronts and 23 on the rears. What rim width did you go with?

Do you think the 22x8R10s would work for the front and 23x8R11 for the rears? Do you need to match rim width or can I be out an inch on the width and not have any mounting and ride worries?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.