Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a dirtbike. I mostly trail ride. I am 155lbs about 5'9". I am looking for a 2 stroke 250 any suggestions please??

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I agree with scuzz. Those ktm dirtbikes are nice. Only problem is that the 250 sits sooo tall that at your height touching the ground might be difficult

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Where's the Honda Love!? I would say CR250 and get the shock and forks re-valved for your height and riding style for trails. However, I rode my friends 2006 crf250x (trail 4 stroke version) that was pretty sweet. The crf250x has lights, electric start, different steering geometry for trails and suspension for trails too.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
m 5,10 and i can fit on a dirt-bike easily ive riden a cr250, kx250, yz250, and a ktm250. all are great the yz is at the bottom ktm top and then the cr and kx.......reliability wise....it easy to lower the bike 1-3''. id get the ktm or cr (honda)

·
Registered
755 Posts
HAHA I raced a KTM 300... not even close :cry:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Where's the Honda Love!? I would say CR250 and get the shock and forks re-valved for your height and riding style for trails. However, I rode my friends 2006 crf250x (trail 4 stroke version) that was pretty sweet. The crf250x has lights, electric start, different steering geometry for trails and suspension for trails too.
2nd this. Buy a Honda.

·
Registered
70 Posts
KTM 250 2-stroke or a Honda CR250X IMHO

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the opinions. I might look into the new crf250x that sounds like it might be just right.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
u can get the 250r with efi or the450r with efi (x doesn't have efi yet) and add a light. but shocks will need revalveing

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
why do you want a 2 stroke? KTM's are nice, but how many dealerships/shops do you see compared to the other brands? I had a KTM 525. It's a great bike, but when stuff breaks your wallet will know. They are just plain more expensive. If you don't need a 2 stroke, I would go w/ the honda 4 strokes. I have had 2 450x's, and loved them both. But if you aren't racing, and you want a bullet proof machine that has some power, go with the XR400, in which you can get the inverted shocks and everything, sits a tad lower than a mx bike, and rips thru the gears, plus you can pick them up for about 1500, put another 500 in, and be all set for your height/weight/and riding style. If you are looking two stroke, obviously few companies produce them still. So I guess we should be asking what is in your price range as well. I have a built up cr250r that is top notch as well. The thing is a bullet, and it's another reason why I love Honda.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In general, you can equate a 4 to 2-stroke conversion of about 2:1cc ratio for feel. a 250 4-stroke will feel like a 125 2-stroke and a 500 4 will feel like a 250 2 and so on. Twice the strokes, half the torque per cc. That's what makes a 2-stroke fun, the snappy feeling. I also love the sound of a 2-stroke over a "plugger" 4.

A good read if you want some insight on the direction of the 2's

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/future-of-two-strokes.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another con for 4-strokes is increased maintenance. Oil changes, valve gaps, timing chains... I just wanna hop on and ride :hey:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Another con for 4-strokes is increased maintenance. Oil changes, valve gaps, timing chains... I just wanna hop on and ride :hey:
It depends on what you get. But a good thing is you don't have to change the piston and rings every year. If you are getting a racing 4 stroke, then they take a lot less oil, and require a lot more oil changes, along w/ valve adjustments.
However, to say that it is a 2:1 ratio is now in correct. It may have been so 5 to 10 years ago, but now the 4 strokes are animals. It is still relatively close, but you will see 450s eat up the current 2 stroke 250s. With the 4 stroke, you have a lot bigger power band, they are coming fuel injected, and you can lug it, therefore not worry about fouling up a plug.
I am not partial to either, as I have both, and you can ask anyone I ride with, I ride a lot of things like it's a 2 stroke, but if you are just doing trail riding IMO I'd stick to a 4 stroke.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I should have specified. I don't race or ride mx tracks. Just because you ride on trails does not mean you can't own a 2 stroke. I already have a long ride bike my 700xx, and yfz 450 for when I need to get my heart pumping. I want a 2 stroke because I have yet to own one. This bike will not be a daily driver I just want something I can take out at my house and scream up and down the trails on. So lets keep the 2 stroke 4 stroke battle to ourselves for now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts