Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Looky what I learned today!!!!

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Baxter 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to say thank you to Chuck (crwh45) for having patience with this old girl and showing me how to do the maintenance on Betty myself. We did the oil, air filter, spark plug, light bulb change, tires and the checked the valves to see if they needed adjustment. It was fun to take her all apart...we to got rid of any rust..I did and said a few dumb things but all in all I got it and learned more in one day then I thought possible! This girl went home with a big smile on my face! I was amazed how it all came apart and went back together without losing a darn thing. Roadkill thanks for these tires! Again, Chuck your the best! Again thank you for your patience :)

See less See more
#16 ·
My dad felt the same way and I was only 12:D:D

#5 ·
great job! i just tore my dads teryx down that far tonight installed big three on it and tought him about cleaning the air filter it was really bad.lol i always feel better knowing i did the work my self and i know you will too

#9 ·
You are already braver than I am. I have not yet checked my own valves. Were they all set correctly? How many hours were on it when you checked? Was this your first valve check?

#12 · (Edited)
I got Betty May of 2009..Yes this was the first time doing this...I believe they book said 50 hrs and when calculating the hours figured I had just over that. I would never never do this without someone knowing what they are doing with me...Chuck did this just showed me everything step by step...the exhaust and intake were within tolerance so we didnt need to adjust them(or he didn't)...and told how I would if I needed to..

#10 · (Edited)
I would be in tears if someone robbed me leaving Betty all naked like that! Then I would be a proud gun owner...lol!!!

It is a great feeling knowing I can do it, I appreciate my friend Doug but he felt I needed to learn as well, and Joe Nash04 was working so Chuck was off and volunteered...as far as the exhaust Mike put some cheapo tip on it...

So glad I shared this moment with you all...I really appreciate the kind words...the home front was less than happy to see my hands greasing at his b day dinner last night! Can't blame him....like he said next time I will wear gloves... lol

#13 ·
tell that to Mike who is wondering how after so many years how I am back to being a tomboy... I told him that I have never felt better in my skin! I am wearing this to my grave!!! But I do have facebook to blame for that since my friends growing up where shocked I gave up riding...made me start thinking...then shopping... then 7 months later 700xx came home...been the happiest I have been in years, makes working all my hours, going to school, sleepless nights and even keeping my usually big mouth quite in my marriage all worth it to know I have that ride once a week sometimes twice a week :)

Life is good...

#15 ·
Tell Mike at least there's one in the family whom doesn't mind getting their hands dirty, lol!! Oh! I forgot, he'll get his hands dirty working on his cars...

#17 ·
hmmm wonder if I could practice on the mower...think Mike would die if I took his mower apart... lol
my dad would be proud since he is a mechanic!

#18 ·
Nah!! Take a screwdriver and some wrenches and open his car's hood and he would die there, lol!!

#19 ·
OMG touch the Audi never! It would be a sure way to get to the insurance money quickly since I am sure the sight would bring on a massive heart attack! lol

I am kidding all I love my hubby...

#21 ·
I know that I'm proud of her since the last time we did some work on her bike, she got her hands dirty as much as I did so Great Job!

Who Knows? Might teach the old hubby something....don't break it, lol!!

#22 ·
Roadkill thanks for these tires!
You're welcome. Hope they give you plenty of good riding. Glad that you're learning how to work on your quad.

One thing though... I kinda resent the L.A. crack and being robbed. I'm from L.A. and you wouldn't have had that much left... they would've taken every fricking thing. I think it looks like more of a New York type robbery... you know, half assed. :lmao:

roadkill

#23 ·
haha like I said anyone ever tries to steal it I get a gun!!!
As for the hubby we talked and he understands why it is sooooo important he NEVER touches Betty again :) told him its spousal abuse!!!

#25 ·
I tried to let her do half of the stuff, as in take half of the plastics off herself...then I let her do the whole oil change with the exception of the big drain bolt (particularly b/c I was already down there to show her where it was and my garage floor was pretty dirty. We did find the washer for the drain bolt of the oil tank missing, so we had to replace that. I think the funniest question of the whole day is when we took a petcock apart, I was telling her about the name, and she didn't believe me...it was funny as she read somewhere on here someone talking about a petcock and sent me a text saying "I knew exactly what they were talking about" LMAO. Sorry if this made you turn read Nikki, but I thought it was soo damn funny.
Roadkill, your tires had about 1 million times more tread on them than her olds ones, I couldn't believe the difference, and obviously hers were bald from drag racing on pavement :( haha.

#27 ·
I think the funniest question of the whole day is when we took a petcock apart, I was telling her about the name, and she didn't believe me...it was funny as she read somewhere on here someone talking about a petcock and sent me a text saying "I knew exactly what they were talking about" LMAO. Sorry if this made you turn read Nikki, but I thought it was soo damn funny.
Roadkill, your tires had about 1 million times more tread on them than her olds ones, I couldn't believe the difference, and obviously hers were bald from drag racing on pavement :( haha.
Well I am glad I amuse you...still think its an odd name! lol I am sure there were plenty of funny moments since I had a million questions! I felt bad when the roomie can home and said "your still working on that" but I it was all worth it to me...and I did bring you a case of beer...you were cheap labor...thanks again!

I love doing donuts silly you won't catch me draggin on pavement! now I can finally climb big ben :) If I have the guts... lol

#26 ·
great job! I havent even changed my oil yet I let the stealership do the first one its about time to do it again I will be doing it though.

to bad I dont have access to someone who knows what thier doing I have to fallow the honda tech service manual oh what page was I on :eek:hno:

#28 ·
I took pictures step by step so I can refer to them when I am doing the next one by myself.I am sure it was what was time consuming but it will help in the future :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.