Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a used 09 yesterday, very low hours on it, previous owner said he just did an oil change, first ride out with it last night and the clutch slips a little. so im thinking maybe he used full synthetic, either way ill be doing an oil change this week on it, this morning i noticed that in neutral idling the clutch is making a little racket, pull the clutch in and it goes away, is this a normal noise for the xx or should i pull the cover and have a look?

·
Registered
231 Posts
It sounds like the clutch needs adjusted to me. Try adjusting it and put some good quality oil made for wet clutches and see what happens. Full synthetic oil is great as long as it is made for wet clutch. I run Mobil 1 racing 4t that can be picked up at any auto parts store. Hopefully its not to late to save it. Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same noise in my clutch and it was like that from day one when i bought my TRX. I talked to Honda here in Sweden about it and they talked to Honda US about it and the they all said the same. It´s supposed to sound like that, so i have to trust them then. Search the forum and you will find some discussion about it.
I dont worry anymore.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by adjusting the clutch im assuming you just mean the cable tension/freeplay? theirs quite a bit of freeplay now, how much does the manual recomend? and where can i download the free manual is it around anymore? ill be putting spectro in it this week with a k&n filter. is 10/40 good for oil in this?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah the freeplay. The manual recommends if I'm reading it correct is 3/8 - 13/16 at the lever. You can still get the manual on here for free I think. I just went out to the garage and started my quad just to make sure mine didn't make the same noise and didn't notice any. As far as the oil goes I put 10w40 in mine. If you can't get the manual then you can pm me and I will email to you if you want.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
by adjusting the clutch im assuming you just mean the cable tension/freeplay? theirs quite a bit of freeplay now, how much does the manual recomend? and where can i download the free manual is it around anymore? ill be putting spectro in it this week with a k&n filter. is 10/40 good for oil in this?
DO NOT use any oil that says "Energy Conserving" on the container. These oils are NOT for a wet clutch and their additives can "F" up our clutch. You can download the service manual here...

http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2195&page=5

Post #48 (follow the directions in the post)

roadkill

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i changed my oil and its worse, i need a new clutch i guess with better springs, which way do i go

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
ok i changed my oil and its worse, i need a new clutch i guess with better springs, which way do i go
It may take 2 or 3 oil changes to bring the clutch back to life. If you take the clutch apart and everything looks normal then good oil will save it. If the steel plates look burnt or discolored then change the clutch.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well.... i contacted eric at ehs to see about getting a clutch from him i think id rather just put a new clutch with stiffer springs and be done with it, the oil change made it alot worse. and i put good spectro oil in it, the same oil we use in all the wheelers in the shop.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Do all the wheeler's in your shop have a wet clutch?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts