Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been kicking this idea around since i have wanted extended arms...

I am just not sure where to start, I have though about taking regular xx a-arms and cutting all the mounting points off them them ( where they mount to the frame and where the calpers mount ect ) and then just making extended "bodies" for the arms, making shock mounting points and leaving them in the same location as factory.

i would make them out of umm chrom moly or atleast 304 stainless ( the bodies that is ) ... i would sort of give them the "max ground clearance" look and put grease zerks in them so they would be easier to do maintnance to .

my main questions are...

does this seem possible ( i work at an aero space machining shop i have every tool imagenable at my finger tips )

and how much more should i extend the arms and inch on each side, two inches on each side ?

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I love my teeth, I love them even more inside of my head. I don't have an engineering degree and although I have a firm grasp on physics I wouldn't attempt it.

But that's just me. Break throughs happen all the time by normal Joes making stuff. I just would never do it.

IMO that's why plumbers....well..plumb and carpenters build houses and so on.

Club | 700 | xx

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well..... the arm companies out their pretty much do the same thing, they extend the arms and att their attachment points.

sure their is r&d and i dont think mine will be right the first time, but i have all the tools avalible to mesure the angles of the arms and the angle at which the calipers mount, the angles the arms come togeather at, and have aero space welders all at my finger tips so its not like this will be a back yard project

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trial and error i guess buddy... some one has to do all the testing, some one has to test when roll puts out new a-arms or hauser. so ill test my arms if i decide to do this

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahahaha didnt say i wasnt..... but havent went forword with it eaither

how ever just imagen all the cool long travle set ups you could do... all the diffrant types of "ground clearance" arms you could make

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh! I saw Rappyfreak's response and thought it was yours for some reason. So, anyways, to go back to a question I asked you earlier and you didn't respond to...... So, your plan is to make them and then test them on your own quad?

·
Registered
243 Posts
You couldn't pay me enough to put them on my quad and then actually ride it over ten miles an hour! Anyways, I don't think you're giving the the people who design these for a living enough credit. There is a lot that goes into the design of A-arms. It is not as simple as copying someone elses design and then making them a little longer.

Anyways, if you move forward with this, I hope you don't end up in the hospital again.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Geeze Gary - I want 4:48 of my life back.... you can do better than that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts