Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i recently had a clutch basket failure and a timing tensioner failure, here was my solution to the timing tensioner problem, instead of paying $65 for a stock one to go out again or waiting for an adjustable one to come out, i spent about $3.50 at the hardware store and made my own, and it works perfectly.

first remove the tensioner from the bike, then disasseble it completely, throw away the washer, sleeve,screw and spiral band that acts as a spring becuse you will not need them.

where the screw was threaded into the plunger, drill it out smooth with an 11/32 or 3/8 drill bit to accept an 8mm threaded bolt.

drill the hole in the back of the housing where the 6mm bolt used to be with a 1/4" drill bit and tap it with an M8X1.25 tap.

clean everything really good and reassemble the plunger into the housing using only the retainer plate and C clip

next, put the backup nut onto the M8 bolt then the nylon washer, and screw the bolt into the back of the tensioner until it touches the inside of the plunger.

assemble it on the bike and adjust as you would any other manual tensioner using the backup nut and nylon washer to seal the oil in and lock the adjustment, see pic below.

i have a cad drawing of it but the forums limits will not let me upload it.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
437 Posts
tighten it just until you feel the plunger make contact with the guide.....start the bike.....then slowly tighten it until the rattle from the chain slap disappears....its pretty obvious when you do it... as soon as this happens, leave it and snug up the set nut. Simple as that. Another good place to look is thumpertalk.com....go to the make model specific forum, then to DRZ400...look in the FAQ forum or do a search...more info than you ever need and a great bunch of guys as well

·
Registered
24 Posts
You'd think, as good as Honda's engines are and how long they last, that they could design a durable timing chain tensioner, not just for the XX, but everything they make with chain driven cams. My S2000 eats TCT's every 35-40K at $170 a pop. Don't feel bad. They make an aftermarket modded one for my car also that supposedly fixes it, but I've never bought one since the last OEM one I installed has lasted so far. Note to Honda: Your TCT's need to be as good as the rest of the engine.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts