Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a bunch of us are considering going up to Minersville this Saturday. is anyone interested or have any better places close by?

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
ok! Dumb question? Where's Minersville, basically what state is it in since your signature does not state where you are from?

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Well! It would be nice to know where they are from....right? lol!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am guessing he is talking about maybe PA.??

Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania

but I could be wrong....LOl

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
That's what I thought but just want to make sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys, I meant to say Minersville, PA. I've been there once, but looking for something a little less hillclimb oriented. We're coming from Baltimore, by the way.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
did not know they had trails there, do you have a gps and make a map if possible, have you been to centralia, supposedly it also has allot of trails in that area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never heard of Centralia. where is it in relation to Minersville, since that's the only location in Pa. i've been to

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
it's off 61 across 81. Never been there but was told there's trails in that area and belongs to RAC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jefftrx, Quickest way to Centrailia from southern Pa is to get off of 81 at exit 116(Minersville exit). Head north toward Mt Carmel on 901. In about 4 miles or a little more you are going to come to a small place called Lavelle. Turn right onto Lavelle Rd. In about a mile you will come to a stop sign. This is route 54. Turn right and you are heading into ashland. A little over a mile you are going to make a left turn onto Rt 61. When you crest the top of the hill there are old streets on the left and you can turn onto and park. I don't know if this is RAC ground or not. Centrailia was an old mining town. Back in the 60's someone lit a fire in a strippings pit. The fire got into a vein of coal and went under ground. The government bought up most of the town and tore down the houses. There are a few residents holding out. I don't have any gps maps, but there are a lot of trails around. Pretty much as long as you stay in this valley you can't get too lost. Ridden from there to Shamokin or in the other direction past Shenandoah. Check it out in google maps, you can view a lot of trails.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
from thumpertalk June 2009

If you are worried about where to park, try the I-81 motel in Frackville. A lot of riders stay/park there. Pretty safe with a trail starting behind the place. From there you can get anywhere you need to go. Just takes a little exploring, but that is half the fun. From Frackville you can get to the center of Centralia in about an hour using a bike on the trails. There are multiple routes, and a couple go through Ashland. Not sure how to get to Hazelton from there, I know some folks that have done it so it is possible but I never got around to figuring that route out

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Why is that Nicky

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Here's another place to park;
If you are worried about where to park, try the I-81 motel in Frackville. A lot of riders stay/park there. Pretty safe with a trail starting behind the place. From there you can get anywhere you need to go. Just takes a little exploring, but that is half the fun. From Frackville you can get to the center of Centralia in about an hour using a bike on the trails. There are multiple routes, and a couple go through Ashland. Not sure how to get to Hazelton from there, I know some folks that have done it so it is possible but I never got around to figuring that route out. If you want more details PM me.

Good luck and like others have said the riding there is outlaw but tolerated to some degree. Try to use common sense and not piss anyone off so it doesn't get completely shut down like everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
What did you read about it there?
Basically about the coal fire and holes coming up from underground and basically could sink in it but most people said if you stay on the trails then you should be ok and if you do see smoke coming from underground, go around it....sounds like fun to me.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
The town in the game and movie Silent Hill is actually based on a small Pennsylvanian town. Part of the story of the movie is that underground coal fires lead to a lot of deaths and mass evacuation that lead to the actual town of Silent Hill being completely stripped of a population. Centralia, Pennsylvania had an underground coal fire which, rather than making Centralia completely deserted there are people who stayed in the area and still live there today without much of a problem. Roads are not that good though since they cracked and buckled do to the escaping gases from the coal fire underground. For footage of the actual town currently you can just do a search for Centralia, Pennsylvania and find at least some amateur documentaries that were posted up in different places, one of which being Youtube.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts