Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Modified my airbox lid for use with my pipe. To make this, I cut the snorkel flush with the top of the lid flange, and smoothed the edges. Then using an 8" X 20" aluminum sheet and some #8 X 1/2" machine screws, flat washers, lock washers, and nuts from Lowes, I fabricated a frame to clamp the Outerwears material to the lid. The Outerwears material is a 12" square sheet available from Dennis Kirk. I used some blue RTV silicone around the edges before installing the screws to form a gasket. Then the excess Outerwears was trimmed from outside the frame with a sharp knife. Here's the finished product:

I like the way it turned out!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good Baxter, the post is still working fine!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Modified my airbox lid for use with my pipe. To make this, I cut the snorkel flush with the top of the lid flange, and smoothed the edges. Then using an 8" X 20" aluminum sheet and some #8 X 1/2" machine screws, flat washers, lock washers, and nuts from Lowes, I fabricated a frame to clamp the Outerwears material to the lid. The Outerwears material is a 12" square sheet available from Dennis Kirk. I used some blue RTV silicone around the edges before installing the screws to form a gasket. Then the excess Outerwears was trimmed from outside the frame with a sharp knife. Here's the finished product:

I like the way it turned out!
Good stuff; I like that. Much better than the EHS in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I have a girl question here, sorry... I understand the purpose of the lid but is it safe to mod it yourself? or does Matlock's and EHS's box lid come with a guarantee for our quad?Also are you voiding your warranty if you alter the OME, the others seem to incorporate into the factory lid. I work in the car industry and the factory is always looking for an excuse not to cover something...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
If you still have the OEM lid which most of us do, reinstall it prior of going to the dealership but have mine on since last year and knock on wood, haven't had any issues with it and you know how/where we ride DaGirl.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Someone has too,lol!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Was there a reason you opened it up so much or was it preference? The typical bike doesn't need an airbox opening that much and unless you had it on a dyno there would be no way to know exactly how much you did need. I know Eric with EHS put the bikes on a dyno and ran it with out the lid to see if it gained HP without the lid and then with the lid and he saw and increase without so there he started to cut and ended up with what he has now based on dyno tests. I know everyone keeps talking about this and that as for the lids but do you really know if you need all that opening. Does that lid cover belly into the filter? If it does it becomes useless against the water. A tent is water tight till you touch the fabric and it starts to leak. Same concept with the outerwears. There is a lot more R&D that went into this then most people know or could imagine. I have alot of motor work done and I only needed a little more flow than the average EHS lid. I can't see where the stock motor and any big 3 components would make it need so much air.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree totally, you do not need that big of an opening. That was proven on the dyno, you can spend hours trying to fabricate something that will not do anything for you. I hope 4 you that will keep the water out and keep your filter clean, for me I am relying on the pro's to handle my modifications, they test it and stand behind it.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
When I would run in the sand sometimes I would put panty hose over my filter ans run an open box.
scuzz is it a good idea to be running around with only one of ur legs covered?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.