Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
**Update**

Still no progress. I guess i've just been dreading the rebuild process and letting this part stop me. I'm not sure if i should even bother with taking it to the machine shop at this point or if i should just buy a new one. I haven't taken it to the shop to get any quotes or know of the general cost to get something like this done but I know that i've done more bad than good with trying to get the valve guides out. The positive to buying new is obviously everything would be new short of the crank and cam in the engine. Downside would be the 450 dollar price tag. But if i'm going to have to spend 200 on a machine shop for a used part that seems to be very worn, I'd pay the extra to have new. Even though i'd still have to go to the machine shop to have the guides pressed into the new cylinder head. I don't know the best route, i'm definitely on the fences about it and this is the last piece of the puzzle before the long journey of putting this SOB back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do we know why some of these bikes have the top end go? Is it an issue with 2008's more than 9's?

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
Do we know why some of these bikes have the top end go? Is it an issue with 2008's more than 9's?
It's the design of the "slipper" piston.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is that a defect with the stock 700xx piston or aftermarket pistons? I thought that Honda would know better, given their 70 years of designing motorcycle engines. A well designed slipper piston should function just as good as a full skirt design.

All I can find is this thread on here.
https://www.club700xx.com/vb/8-moto.../946-larger-capacity-oil-tank-2.html#post9131

Is there any more info on this issue? Any suggestions to mitigate it? The only thing I can think of is poor piston lubrication causing excess wear on the wrist pin or cylinder wall (and then side skirts/rings/ring lands).

Solution is to run high quality oil and change it often?

·
Registered
642 Posts
hey when you brake things you go all out

41 - 46 of 46 Posts