Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spoken to Bones at OMF wheels, and Scott at Dwt wheels and they both told me that they do not manufacture factory Mud Covers for my front or rear wheels.
I am going to have to make some home grown mud covers.

Come ATV gurus; grace me with your ideas. Please.

This is what im dealing with:

Front wheel

Rear wheel

The whole picture

I want to make mud plugs/ mud covers for front and back wheels. I have been trying to brainstorm on what i should do but haven't had a idea good enough to follow through with. If you have any ideas on materials and attachment points please share them with me. I would like to hear it all.

the front wheels are 10'' and the rear wheels are 11''

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You can buy plastic posterboard, that would be cheap. Or you could find the right size bucket or trash can and cut the bottom out of it.

If you were not worried about quick/easy removal, you could silicone them in the rim. If you have enough thread sticking out past you lug nut you could make some spacers that thread onto them and either wing nut or drill a hole crossways in the guard side spacers and use a spring type cotter pin. Custom beadlock bolts(4 per rim) would be sweet, but that would take some work.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
If the fronts are 10" then there shouldn't be a problem .(check Ebay)
The rears I would get the OMF fixing tabs that come with regular OMF covers and make something similar to original OMF ones but outta plastic or ali.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
the rear wheels have mud scrapers for a reason

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the rear wheels have mud scrapers for a reason
You have beadlock rear wheels that have mudscrapers on the outside? I'm refering to the outside of the wheels. I bought wheels without the reinforcing ring on the inside so I could leave my scraper installed.

Thank you all for the ideas so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
first of all, as asked before, are you going for "somewhat effective yet easily removable" or "super effective and practically semi-perminant"?

Thats going to be a big difference in my ideas

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
first of all, as asked before, are you going for "somewhat effective yet easily removable" or "super effective and practically semi-perminant"?

Thats going to be a big difference in my ideas
Post them all up. I'd like to know also.:D

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
1. Spray the rim with a heavy coat of PAM.

2. Tape cardboard over the face of rim.

3. Cut a small hole in cardboard.

4. Insert tip of expanding foam in hole and fill.

5. Wait 5min and remove cardboard.

6. Spraypaint foam black for bling effect

7. Race quad

·
Registered
47 Posts
i would not recommend the expandi-foam method above. dont know if you ever used that stuff, but certain brands are damn near impossible to get off.

for "easily removable" back- get some dense foam, cut it slightly larger than wheel opening, stuff it in there

honestly for the fronts, i have no idea, dont know anyone that runs mud plugs on front wheels

for "semi-perminant"
back- cut a piece of plastic ( i would use something not completely rigid so you dont cracking it) out the size if the wheel, drill holes to match beadlock bolts, remove beadlock bolts, bolt down ( could run bead of silicone around to make it practically water tight, but i dont see the point as you still have hole around hub.

Front- could do the same thing if those outer bolts are removeable.

hell, you could combine the two, stuff foam in, then bolt on a plastic cover, foam inside would keep some mudd from coming thru around the hub.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
1. Spray the rim with a heavy coat of PAM.

2. Tape cardboard over the face of rim.

3. Cut a small hole in cardboard.

4. Insert tip of expanding foam in hole and fill.

5. Wait 5min and remove cardboard.

6. Spraypaint foam black for bling effect

7. Race quad

Please do not try this ! I am ordering a set of the same rims for the rear and I will send you my version of mudplugs for the 11" rears.

SmoOoth1 stick to motors !!!!:disgust:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke to Bones at OMF again and he agreed to attempt to make some. If successful it will cost me around $40.00 plus shipping for the rear Mud Caps.
I will keep you all posted with what they are able to do.

I still need to figure something out for the fronts.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I still need to figure something out for the fronts.
Douglas actually makes mud plugs. I have a few of the "Champion in a Box" sets with beadlocks all around for my 450R's and it includes mud plugs for all four wheels. I would think those front mud plugs would work with your front wheels, unless your front beadlock rings are way different then the new wheels. Measure the inside diameter of your front beadlock rings and I will compare to mine. If they are close you should be able to get the mudplugs from Douglas.

Doug

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Douglas actually makes mud plugs. I have a few of the "Champion in a Box" sets with beadlocks all around for my 450R's and it includes mud plugs for all four wheels. I would think those front mud plugs would work with your front wheels, unless your front beadlock rings are way different then the new wheels. Measure the inside diameter of your front beadlock rings and I will compare to mine. If they are close you should be able to get the mudplugs from Douglas.

Doug
can i see a picture of what your referring to. Scott over at DWT told me they didn't have any to fit my rims. I may get the ones you have and see if i cant jolly rig them.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Here are a couple of pics. They just "press" in, the plastic rings hold them in place. The inside opening measures 8" on my beadlock rings. If yours are close to that these should work.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are a couple of pics. They just "press" in, the plastic rings hold them in place. The inside opening measures 8" on my beadlock rings. If yours are close to that these should work.

Doug

my wheels are 10". good pictures though

·
Registered
671 Posts
my wheels are 10". good pictures though
These wheels are 10" also. I am talking about the inside diameter of the beadlock ring being 8". Look at the pic with the tape measure. Where the end of the tape measure is to the same location on the other side is 8", so basically the mud plug diameter is 8".

Or are you trying to say the inside diameter of your beadlock ring is 10"? If that is the case, these will not even be close to fitting.

Doug

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These wheels are 10" also. I am talking about the inside diameter of the beadlock ring being 8". Look at the pic with the tape measure. Where the end of the tape measure is to the same location on the other side is 8", so basically the mud plug diameter is 8".

Or are you trying to say the inside diameter of your beadlock ring is 10"? If that is the case, these will not even be close to fitting.

Doug

I measured mine and it is 8" as well. I ordered two of the 10" mud plugs (like yours) today. Lets hope they work.

Thank you for your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts