Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i thought i had a slow leak in one of my rear tires. I didnt even look to put a plug in it because it gave me an excuse to purchase a set of kenda kutters :hey:. Got them all mounted but that one wouldnt hold air. Looked on the rim and saw a huge gash where air was hissing out of. You could tell it was caused by a rock or something that got caught in the mud scraper and scratched the wheel until it poked a hole. There were actually two screwed up areas on the wheel caused by this but only one was leaking. So i took those damn things off! Went to the honda dealership and they want $280 for one rear wheel! Screw that!!! So i went home and patched the holes with some jb weld. I think the jb weld could be stronger than the whole wheel lol. I wish i took pictures of it. This of course is only a temporary fix. Now i need to get some 11 inch rear wheels and noticed there isnt much out there to pick from. Actually the only wheel i see is omf after searching around here and google. Is this really the only option? I dont want to convert to 10 inch wheels since i already have my kenda kutters (which are awesome by the way).
Oh and heres some crappy cell phone pics of the new tires:

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
you can get dwt rims in stock sizes front and rear

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Go to Rocky Mountain web site and they carry some 11" wheels for our bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to Rocky Mountain web site and they carry some 11" wheels for our bike.
Your right it looks like the only one they have is the douglas 190 wheel. Wonder if its the correct offset and all? $125 per wheel is still kind of steep but alot better than the dealer price haha.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mate, have a look at ebay and this site there are tons of people selling standard rears cheap.

·
Registered
392 Posts
chris15706

I had the same thing happen to me. I also patched mine with JB weld and it has held up find. I got rid of those stupid scrapers after that. I also have the kenda kutters. I found a used set of rims off ebay for 200 bucks. So I have some spares now.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
You can call him directly and you should be able to get a better price;
DWT / Douglas Technologies Group, Inc.
1340 N. Melrose Dr
Vista, CA 92083
800-RACERIM (722-3746) EXT3002

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
put plugs in to hole and call it a day

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.... I think i will go ahead and replace my wheels. I ride by myself most of the time so i like to keep things as reliable as possible. Are the dwt wheels any better than stock? I might as well upgrade but if its the same quality i will keep my eye out on ebay.

·
Registered
755 Posts
After reading this thread I looked at my wheels and see a scratch all the way around the rims from something wedged in there. So I took off the mud scrapers and hopefully no problems.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.... I think i will go ahead and replace my wheels. I ride by myself most of the time so i like to keep things as reliable as possible. Are the dwt wheels any better than stock? I might as well upgrade but if its the same quality i will keep my eye out on ebay.
i hopr the dwt .190 are stronger than stock because thats what i want to get because i have two bent rear stock rims,that sucks but i think its from running to low of air pressure,which i was running what it said on the labels on the fender now i run a few pounds more

·
Registered
755 Posts
i hopr the dwt .190 are stronger than stock because thats what i want to get because i have two bent rear stock rims,that sucks but i think its from running to low of air pressure,which i was running what it said on the labels on the fender now i run a few pounds more
I run 7psi all around, higher psi prevents flats and prevents dent rims.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i heard that i run that psi now to and seems to work very well

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ran my stock tires at 8 or 9 psi in the rear. Anything lower made my tires look like the tire would pop the bead. Way too low.

Btw, what the hell was honda thinking with the mud scrapers anyways? Maybe just a selling point so people would say "oh look it has fancy mud scrapers so my wheels dont get dirty"?

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I run 7psi all around, higher psi prevents flats and prevents dent rims.

Totally agree with this . I run between 8-10 psi allround.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What are the advantages to runnin the mud scrapers anyway, looks like rocks and stuff could get lodged in there and cause problems like this

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
What are the advantages to runnin the mud scrapers anyway, looks like rocks and stuff could get lodged in there and cause problems like this
the only advantage i can see is for mud only,not rocky mud, we dont have hardly any rocky terrain in south alabama

1 - 20 of 23 Posts