Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what kinda of maintenance should be done after about 3 years on the XX.

I getting ready to rip the plastics back off for the valve adjustment. What else should i look into doing?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm in the process of doing some maintenance to get it ready for this spring. Things I'm doing are:

repack exhaust (aftermarket exhaust only)
change oil + filter
check valves
new spark plug
rebuild steering stabilizer
new brake pads
new rear tires
maybe flush coolant and brake fluid and replace with new

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Grease your steering stem, check brakes, check ball joints and tie rid ends for wear, check chain and sprockets, check valve clearance, maybe clean out the radiator while you got the plastics off, flush coolant and refill with new, check brake fluid, adjust clutch, new spark plug, maybe clean the throttle body and intake tube, clean air filter, oil change and filter and clean oil screen, check cv joints for wear.
These are just some things to think about checking over the winter. I'll think of some more.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm rebuilding my rearend. New CV Shafts (more to come on this) bearings in hubs and final drive. While its all apart, new rear brake pads.

I think a timing chain is going to be in the mix pretty soon too.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I'm rebuilding my rearend. New CV Shafts (more to come on this) bearings in hubs and final drive. While its all apart, new rear brake pads.

I think a timing chain is going to be in the mix pretty soon too.
You need a new cam chain.

I would also recommend removing the ignition cover and checking for debris inside the flywheel. May sound wierd but you be surprised how much metal is in there. You'll find find lots of grey sludge and a few flakes of metal. This will tell you how good or bad the motor is doing. Bigger the chunks, the more the need for a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You need a new cam chain.

I would also recommend removing the ignition cover and checking for debris inside the flywheel. May sound wierd but you be surprised how much metal is in there. You'll find find lots of grey sludge and a few flakes of metal. This will tell you how good or bad the motor is doing. Bigger the chunks, the more the need for a rebuild.
This motor is fresh though. Maybe 50-60 hours on it. I've rode less than 10 times here in Texas, and one trip to Tennessee.

Do need an oil change though.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Oil is cheaper than metal.
Most of what is mentioned on this thread , I do after every race. You look after the xx ,it will look after you.
I'll post up one day the maintenance , I do with my xx during a years worth of riding/racing.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yeah, but I don't believe it needs THAT much maintenance. For heaven's sake - it's a HONDA!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yeah but . I am not what you class as normal !:D
lol, im def going to start with a cam chain and the bearings in the rear. We'll go from there. I'm keeping an eye on y'all cam chain thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts