Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know really nothing about racing quads or bikes but I'll be doing my first ATV race ever on May 26 & 27. It's a small race held each year in a small community on the Navajo Nation called Tonalea, AZ. I hear alot of people show up from all over the Navajo Nation to race their bikes and quads in 3 different racing events. Drag, Track and Desert racing. They do not divide the bikes up into class or size catagories. Everyone against everyone.

From what I hear there is a guy that has a Banshee that dominates the drags every year. There is another guy that has a Honda 450 that dominates the track race every year as well. As far as the desert race, this is the first year they are having this race. I do a lot of off road riding on my quad, so I think I may focus my attention on the desert race. I may just enter the other two races for the hell of it just so I can see how I do. I may make a total ass of myself and get my ass whooped too but fuggit....at least I can say I tried.

From my understanding when I called the organizers about entering the race with my 700xx, they said they have only had one 700 class quad enter which was last year. The guy had a Raptor 700 and got his ass whooped by the guys with the banshee and honda 450 in the drag and track race.

All in all it's just an organized Rez-race where everyone comes together and fights for some braggin rights. Sounds like some good times and a lot of fun. I'll post some pics and video after the race. I've never been to this event, so I have no clue what to expect.

Shonie

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Have fun. A pair of built Banchees are the only quads I've lost to at Pismo... but not by much... Everyone else ate my sand.

You should do well in the desert race... our quad excels in that area... Just ask Wayne Matlock.

Go to have FUN and ride at your own skill level and pace.

roadkill

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sweet!

will be waiting for the results.

I had never raced either, but did a few drags at the dunes this season. I had a 13 tooth front on and the 450's would just edge me out. I think if I had ran the 14 it would have been about the rider and hole shot. You might want the 13 for the desert race though, pulls hard and gives you better compression braking. Top end should not be an issue and you'll have the best suspention. Maybe set one of your bikes up, one with a 14 and the other with the 13?

Be carefull and have fun!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet!

will be waiting for the results.

I had never raced either, but did a few drags at the dunes this season. I had a 13 tooth front on and the 450's would just edge me out. I think if I had ran the 14 it would have been about the rider and hole shot. You might want the 13 for the desert race though, pulls hard and gives you better compression braking. Top end should not be an issue and you'll have the best suspention. Maybe set one of your bikes up, one with a 14 and the other with the 13?

Be carefull and have fun!
Yeah, I was thinking of trying that out

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we went out to the track this past weekend to check it out and give it a test run. There were quite a few people out there doing the same thing we were. They have a drag strip, the track itself and the desert track. The desert track is about 1.5 miles long I'm guessing. It's not a bad track. It's just way too narrow through out most of it in order to pass anyone, there are only like 2 places where you would be able to pass anyone without getting way off the course. The course has some whoops that seem to toss you pretty damn hard where it's hard to keep the bike under control. It also has some pretty tight turns that are nearly impossible to make even if I throw the rearend out. I ran over a few bushes trying to make these turns.

All in all, it's not too bad of a track. I think I just need to practice some more. I took some video with my gopro. I'll try to get it up sometime today.

Shonie

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the video of my first run through the track. Unfamiliar territory.

I forgot to turn on my gopro about 1/3 of the way through the track. But you get to see the last 2/3 of the track in this video.

Shonie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCWu-XvXFZU

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Nice, looks like Heckle and Jeckle will like that place!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the race is this weekend and me and my friend have been practicing everyday. He's racing my other 700xx, so we are going as a team. We made our own track that is compareable to what we are suppose to race on and it's about a mile and a half long with whoops, jumps, dunes, and a few dried out washes. It actually turned out to be a pretty bad ass track I must say.

We got sponsorship from our local NAPA store yesterday. Which is pretty bad ass cuz they are giving us a few hundred bucks, use of the shop and equipment, banners, stickers, etc. The owner of the NAPA has a black 700xx that's pretty hopped up as well. He mentioned that we take his and race it too. So maybe we'll use it in the drag. His 700xx has a bore and cam kit, full exhaust, fuel programmer, etc. It's a nice bike, it just needs the nerfs put on. We'll see what happens.

I'll keep you all posted....

Shonie

·
Registered
446 Posts
sounds awesome Shonie, I'm jealous...

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SUBSCRIBED! Get lots of pics an video, I wanna see some 700xx wins!
We will do our best to win. After all....this is my first race ever.

Shonie

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds awesome Shonie, I'm jealous...
yer up in oren bro. Not too far from here. You should come down and race. we're camping out at the race track. yer more than welcome to join us. The more 700xx's...the better!

Shonie

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of our practice runs on a track we made at one or favorite riding spots a few miles from where we live. i'm up front. My friend jacks up his hand in the second lap. You can hear him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rd9Mdf25Xs

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Nice, video! Your buddy was all over you, till he jammed his wrist. Hope he's okay.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I never got the chance to race, We got there friday to practice on the track. I was doing a slow round to get to know the track. I got to a part on the track where the trail snakes down a sand dune. As I was going down the trail on the sand dune I was crawling real slow, prolly less than 5mph. I was almost at the end of the sand dune trail and it made a hairpin left. I turned left and the quad kept going straight...... and I went off the edge.

I tried my best to bail but only got about 3/4 off my quad. I landed on my right leg and felt the sole of my boot touch my knee. I then hit the ground and rolled once. as I rolled face up all I saw was the red sea of my quad coming straight for my head. I turned my head sideways and felt it hit my helmet. I then saw the quad bounce upright and roll away.

To make a long story short....they observed me all night Friday I had surgery that Saturday morning. Apparently is broke both of those bones in my leg below my knee. The had to put a titanium rod through the larger one with screws to hold it in place. I just now got home (tuesday) from the hospital. I am on crutches and pain killers and no work allowed for a month. I'll have to keep this thing on my leg for 4-5 months.

My summer is shot to shit. But at least my bike is ok.

Shonie

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wow, glad to hear you only had leg injuries, legs heal better than heads/brains. Get well soon.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Xstriker. I appreciate that. So glad I was wear protective gear. Would have been much worse if I wasn't. I prolly wouldn't be writing this right now.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Wow, thats really not what I expected to see when I came back to this thread to see your race results. thats too bad man, but at least you live to ride another day, and so did your quad. good luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Damn Shonie, I was hoping to hear of your race not this. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.