Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My impressions of my very first ride:
I can see where the 13 tooth sprocket would make this thing come alive. There were a lot of rocky sharp turns. huge 20- 40 foot drops followed immediately by a steep climb. The gearing between 2nd and third seemed too far apart so I could definitely see the 13 making 3rd more useful.The trail had 8-10 inch boulders that I literally couldn't feel. What a great suspension. The front end does seem to want to plow through the tight loose turns but I'm sure that I can learn to get it to slide and know better tires and perhaps a sway bar will help with the under steer. Boots. I had a pair of $200 motocross boots on that saved my ankle as I stupidly put my foot down when the quad leaned and got it jammed under the peg. Broke a buckle not a bone. I was going to get nerfs but having good strong boots may be enough. Matlock, yeah I know he's a pro, only uses heel guards. I wonder if he believes nerfs are not needed if you have good boots.
This was literally my very first time ever on a quad. I'm 49, too heavy by 30 pounds and not as nimble as I used to be. The quad very responsive. I am the type who likes to push a vehicle to it's limits and while I'm sure I didn't come close I did push my limits.

I learned how to ride motorcycles when I was 15 and rode street bikes. My last was a Valkyrie. Every bike I ever owned was a Honda. I really thought I'd have a problem with the thumb throttle but I honestly never even thought about it. Throttle and clutch control just came instinctively. I also intuitively didn't use the clutch except when I had to. That was a first for me as well.

To the guys who want more power, I can't wait until I get to that level. For now a $22 sprocket should do for my needs but I would like to put a slip on and K&N filter on pretty soon just to let it breath a bit better. I'm 10 minutes away from great riding area and hopefully will be riding at least 3 days a week. By next fall I hope to really have this thing under control. I will need a lot of practice. But this is fun and great exercise as well. I had a great time.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Seems like you had allot of fun and Welcome to the Club

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
sounds like a great time just keep riding and before u know it you and the xx will be one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts