Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you may have read, my beloved Honda developed a knock and now they're tearing it down to see what the cause is.

Worst case scenario - I have to put a motor in out of my pocket. I'm thinking of building something but I want to keep factory maintenance and reliability in check. I don't want to have to adjust valves after I ride it every time. What would you guys do?

I'm thinking: Stage 2 (piston, cam) Alba stuff with a ported head and throttle body.

Motor Status - Waiting on tech to do a tear down and then Honda for warranty. This will be updated as I know more.
11/20/09 - I'm responsible for labor, they're going to pay for the parts. I think i'd rather it be the other way around though...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Go with XR650 intake valves and port, TB bore and 11:1-11.5:1 and stage II or III cam. Premium pump gas and dead stock reliable IMHO. If ya need anything from me just holla!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I couldn't even imagine one of those things with a stage three cam...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wish I could come across like $10k or so. I'd buy an XX and put the rest of the money into it. Fox/Elka shocks, full Alba/Dasa system, JE piston, stage three cam, PCV, +1 Burguard stem, you know, everything else...

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went by the Honda shop today and they told me they're going to pay for the parts and stick me with the labor bill, since it was "low on oil". I said, "well there has to be a reason it was low on oil." and he said "yeah, i'll have the tech call you or something". I bet this turns out interesting. Have you seen my stapler?!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I raced MX when I first bought my 700 Raptor. I cracked my frame in one of the races, Yamaha warrantied it without any problem.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Mine as well throw an 11:1 piston in while your at it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what was wrong with the motor?
With it torn down that far, you would think they would have an answer by now...
The wrist pin could wiggle up and down like (X) <--- Imagine that being on a horizontal axis at the center of the X. The rings were shot in it and the bearings had wear.... they're blaming for having low oil. I think that's bullshit as I know it had oil in it. If they wanna stick to "low oil" there's gotta be a reason why the oil was low. I didn't turn the quad on its side and empty it out.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
stg3cam

they had a 700xx with stg3 cam with 11:1 piston fmf fact.4.1 exh in atvaction in dec issue they said that set up didnt need a fuelinjection optimizer whats up with that?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
they had a 700xx with stg3 cam with 11:1 piston fmf fact.4.1 exh in atvaction in dec issue they said that set up didnt need a fuelinjection optimizer whats up with that?
lol, Seriously?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The wrist pin could wiggle up and down like (X) <--- Imagine that being on a horizontal axis at the center of the X. The rings were shot in it and the bearings had wear.... they're blaming for having low oil. I think that's bullshit as I know it had oil in it. If they wanna stick to "low oil" there's gotta be a reason why the oil was low. I didn't turn the quad on its side and empty it out.
Positive the filter was in correct? You can also look at the top of the connecting rod for signs of heat. They have some rubber paint crap that will melt when the motor gets too hot. Also if the rings are bad because of low oil the crank should be scared also

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so Honda wants me to pay for the labor ($750) and they pay for the parts. They told me when i brought it in it was puffin smoke like a chimney.... anyone see any smoke in this video that was taken right before I took it to them!?

·
Registered
306 Posts
That sounds terribly wrong. I would do my best to stick them with the full amount. There is no reason it should sound like that. That is nuts.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got off the phone (As you posted that) with Honda Corp Support and they're assigning it to a case manager, i should hear back in a couple days.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.