Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the helmet cam video from his first ever D-13 AMA race. His motor is still stock for now, but should be built by the next race. He still did pretty good. He finished 3rd out of 6 in his class. The class is also for 8-15 year olds, and he is 9, so he's got some experience to build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtAUc5se03E

He was a little confused when they asked him if he was ready before they dropped the gate. I had to help him out. Haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGzmKc5cMuU

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
exhausted,
Congrats to Braden. Wonderful race. He picked perfect lines. Can't wait to see that youngster on the machine when it is "refreshed".
Thanks for that video. That is amazing racing. :xx::xx::xx:
Sid

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Great job Branden! :atv: Podium finish that's what's up!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Can't wait to get the new motor in!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got the new motor in, but like usual, it was last minute, and we didn't have the right jets for the carb, so it was a bit finicky, and Braden didn't have much seat time to learn how to drive around the carb issues. We also had to turn the idle up some to help keep it running, but in turn made it harder to shift. Despite all that, he still drove it pretty well. There were 4 kids in his class and Braden stalled on the holeshot and gave everyone a head start. Within a lap and a half he was in first place, then he didn't down shift in a tight turn with a hill coming out of it, so he bogged and stalled it again. which let everyone pass him before it got started again. He was still able to catch one of the kids and almost caught the 2nd place kid before he ran out of laps.
I'm trying to get him to settle down when things go wrong, but yet still have the competitive attitude that he currently has. It's a work in progress. haha

Here is the video from the SX race on Saturday night at NCMP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlLdPTUQqIA&list=UUR5E_vX6ybCxJXMjma-fG_w&index=1&feature=plcp

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Wow Great job again Braden! I could tell you were upset when the quad stalled, but once restarted you were on a mission! WOW I'll bet you can't wait for next race, and hopefully the bike will be right by then. If not time to start looking for a new pit crew, lol!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
exhausted,
Braden, you did a great job especially with the machine acting up. As soon as the jetting is squared away, you will have an awesome bike. The engine has huge potential as do you. Catching up to that rider was a worthy achievement. No problems with the two-stroke you passed. That is the number 11 that has passed you before. Not anymore.
Shane,
What did the plug look like after the race? The engine sounded like it was either loading up or maybe a little on the lean side. Thought I heard a little pop on deceleration.
Best of everything for the next race.
Sid

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ya, he did great giving them all a 15 sec head start and then getting to first place within 1.5 laps. He still needs to work on being in the right gear, but then again, he is the only one out there that isn't running an auto. I couldn't believe he was able to catch back up to any of them after the stall, let alone almost get back into 2nd.

Sid, the plug looked good, it did pop a little on decel, but not much. I think we are gonna try to change up the pilot jet first to see if we can get the lean stumble out of it, and go from there. Part of our problem was on Friday it was 80* and the jetting was only a little off, then on Saturday at race time it was in the low 50's and the jetting was waay off then.
Unfortunately my Father in law passed away, so we have to drive down to Tampa tonight and won't be back til Monday. Hopefully we can get it right before his next AMA District race on the 27th.

They are having fun! My daughter and son are in the middle, and my friends sons are on the ends.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Shane,
My condolences to you, your wife and your family. These kinds of sad tragedies bring families much closer together and make us more respectful and tolerant of others.
God Bless your great family in this time of need.
Sid

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He had his last VXCS race this past weekend. We still have a minor stalling issue with his bike, so he decided to race his sisters quad instead. Pink Fox stickers and all! haha It worked out though, because hers is much more narrow than his, so it went through the tight spots much better. Although, right before the end of the race, he forgot he needed to lean more on hers and he almost lost it. haha
He ended up finishing first and won the point championship for the series, so he was pretty excited.
Hopefully we can run a few of the winter series D13 MX races coming up to see how he can do with a good running bike.

Here is the edited down version of his helmet cam footage. I was marshaling the race on his quad, it was pretty fun, that little thing is quick, even with my fat ass on it. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbqyA7H2QyA&list=UUR5E_vX6ybCxJXMjma-fG_w&index=1&feature=plcp

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Me having fun on his quad while marshaling his race.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Wow Great Job Braden! I love the pictures of your Dad breaking in the new motor build! Now tell him to quit playing and dial it in! lol j/k but great job guy's!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
congrats on the win and tell dad he has a 700xx to ride!! that trx 90 must be built pretty good to haul dad around like that with the front tires in the air!:lol::lol::xx:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Shane,
What a fantastic race!! I hope Braden knows I was helping him through all those trees and passes. Ha-ha. :lol: He has the "killer instinct". Even on his sisters machine he is unstoppable. Great job Braden!! :tup::tup::tup: Oh, and yes dad, please let Braden have his bike back again. :lol::lol:
Sid

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. Braden loves seeing your comments.
I gave him his quad back this weekend and took him to his first big track. We went to Budds Creek MX in MD. He was a little intimidated of the track at first, and he was seriously outgunned by some of the riders and quads that were there, but he did better in every session, and he can't wait to go back. The class is for 8-15 year olds, and he's only 9, so he's just getting started.

Here is a track side video of him riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TxAs96WqV8&list=UUR5E_vX6ybCxJXMjma-fG_w&index=1&feature=plcp

And here is the helmet cam of his last Moto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o_Fg_00CGI&list=UUR5E_vX6ybCxJXMjma-fG_w&index=2&feature=plcp

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
you go boy!5th place is good for your first mx race! that track is awesome,thats where the pros race in the ama pro mx series and i think the pro atv mx is there too. good job Brayden!:xx:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Shane/Braden,
Great job Braden!! I see you have the manual transmission figured out. All the shifting sounds spot on. You did a super job on that difficult and challenging track. Your endurance is getting there. Just keep working on it. Shane, are you happy with the engine performance? I think you have the jetting right. What do you think? The engine sounded very powerful. Have you determined the safe level of rpm yet?
Thanks to both you guys for these outstanding videos and especially Braden. :thanks:
Sid

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shane/Braden,
Great job Braden!! I see you have the manual transmission figured out. All the shifting sounds spot on. You did a super job on that difficult and challenging track. Your endurance is getting there. Just keep working on it. Shane, are you happy with the engine performance? I think you have the jetting right. What do you think? The engine sounded very powerful. Have you determined the safe level of rpm yet?
Thanks to both you guys for these outstanding videos and especially Braden. :thanks:
Sid
Thanks guys.
Sid, the jetting is very close. it may still be a touch on the fat side, but it's running very well. it makes great power, I think Braden still is getting used to the power, and he gets a little lazy on the shifting, trying to stay in the same gear as much as possible, but for his first year, he's doing pretty good. I,m gonna get him a bigger shift lever, because I think part of it is him having a hard time getting his boot under the stock size shifter. I'm also gonna see if I can get him a little more travel in the rear suspension. The ruts were beating him up a little bit.
On a funny side note, when we first got there he used the bathroom, and when he came out, he said, "I wonder if James Stewart used the same toilet I just did when he was here?" haha. He's a goofball.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts