Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of buying crappy gas cans that leak or tip over too easy or the caps blow off and disappear. Anybody have a good experience with a certain brand or style? The crap at hardware stores or WalMart just aren't worth the low cost. I would love to find an intelligent design thats fairly reasonable on price.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Spend the extra money on a safety can then. I've had the same 2, 5 gallon cans since the mid 80's!

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
easystreet,
I purchased two from the Honda Dealership. They are really good. They sell a 2 1/2 and a 5 gallon size. No-Spill 2 1/2 Gal. size PN# G-07-049, BC-59176 01405, Honda PN# 06176-1405. No-Spill 5 Gal. size PN# G-07-049 (same), BC-59176 01450, Honda PN# 06176-1450. Costs are a little high but with handle is easy to pour.
It looks similar to the Wal-Mart units but is superior. The pour spout is easily unscrewed, has a release button after you tip it to pour and a cap that goes over the spout.
Sid

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mquick, are you talking about the Eagle brand metal cans? If so, they look nice. Nobody local has them so would have to order.

JBGill06, I have heard of the VP style can. It appears to me that it would be a pain to pour. A five gallon jug with one top mounted handle and a flimsy rubber tube for pouring. Seems like you would need three hands to use with ease.

Sid, If my Honda dealership had one that would be ideal. They are not far from me. I tried searching off your part number and couldn't get any site to pull that up though. Will have to wait until Tuesday for them to be open again. Do you have a link with photos?

Another forum has recommended the VP style or this one.http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spill-Proof-Utility-Jug-and-Drybreak-Spout,4777.html
I like the idea that it doesn't pour until upside down and depressed into tank opening. Seems like a good idea and two have said they like it. It may be the choice if shipping is fast.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My friend has 2 VP cans and really likes them alot.
I still have an old school 5gal can. I really hate those auto vent cans they sell now as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
easystreet,
That lid that the fellow is demonstrating has been redesigned and was replaced with one without the ratchet mechanism. I have three cans, two 2 1/2 and one 5 gallon unit. You only need to tighten the lids snug, by hand, after filling. The button on the rear of the lid, when pushed, allows plenty of gasoline to flow into your tank without any leakage.
Suggest you call No-Spill and talk to them about that video. 8:30 AM to4:30 PM Kansas time. (913-888-9200)
Sid

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Mquick, are you talking about the Eagle brand metal cans? If so, they look nice. Nobody local has them so would have to order. QUOTE]

Yea one of mine is a Eagle brand, the other is just a chemical safety can, that had ketone in it originally. I dont have the new fancy spout adapter they have on them now. I just use mine to transport gas, and pour mine into a smaller can with a spout and then pour into the quads. Those can's are tough, I've had them flip over in back of truck 4wheeling and they don't spill. Only problem I've had was a bolt on the one lid came loose once or twice. You can get the eagle can's here at local hardware stores like Lowes, or this brand at Staples http://www.staples.com/JUSTRITE-Typ...75-in-OD-x/product_704431?externalize=certona

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Sid, does yours look like this? http://www.acetoolonline.com/Honda-06176-1450-5-Gallon-Gasoline-Can-p/hon-06176-1450.htm

If so, I have had similar kinds and they leaked. Not the Honda brand though.
Also, if I remember right it wouldn't let a full flow out. Like a trickle and took forever to fill.

I have a similar can except it's more squat and it has a handle on the side as well as the top. The green push button vent is a pain as well, but it doesn't leak. Got mine from my Honda dealer.

roadkill

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I bought this can for our long weekend ride. http://www.acetoolonline.com/Honda-06176-1450-5-Gallon-Gasoline-Can-p/hon-06176-1450.htm
I filled it about 90% full put it in the truck with the other gear and atv. Off we went. Upon arrival after an hour drive I find it had leaked out around the threads. A brand new can tightened correctly and it leaked! From now on I'm just gonna pump gas into an open bucket and let it slosh all over the place. Its cheaper!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
lol, try a true safety can next time. I strap mine to back of trailer and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I bought a Tuff Jug in November 2010 for the 8 hour enduro , I have just done. Cost me £54 and was kind of a poor man's dry break. I bought it but kind of hated the idea of the fueling system whilst having a hot engine. So , I took 1 x 20 litre "Jerry" cans and 2 x 10 litre cans with a spout and the Tuff Jug. Filled up with the 10 litre cans with no problem but the spout did not fit the 20 litre "Jerry" can. Had to use the Tuff Jug. It worked a treat, no over spill , no guessing . It stopped when the tank was full.
Buying 2 more for next years season.

http://www.tuffjug.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.