Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many has kids here but I do. I have a son (14) and a daughter (13). My girl don't like the ATV's but my son does. I bought him a brand new 07 300ex for Xmas a year ago and he's getting a little to big for it. His birthday is next month and I'm contemplating getting him another new bike. I've been looking at the 09 400x but for the price I think it's a little outdated. Another thing is we winter ride a lot and he gets hung up quite a bit. He's a good rider and does things on the 300ex that's plain retarded.lol I went browsing today and seen the Monster Edition KFX450r for $9200.00. There was a 09 Suzuki Z400 with efi, piggybacks etc for $7600.00. The 400x is $8800.00. As I was leaving I got to thinking the Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS would be ideal. I can get that for $8900.00. Clearance is an issue for him, and speed is an issue for me.(Remember when you're 14.)lol He rides my 700xx quite a bit, but finds it big. He's about 5'5 and 140lb. He likes the Gade for ease through the snow and mud. It makes me nervous with him on the Gade because of the weight. If he ever rolled that on him he'd be done. Now since he's had the taste of power he drives the shit out of his 300 and I seriously think he's going to blow it up.I'm kinda tired of buying him new bikes all the time and I sorta want this to be the last one from me.(cars will be starting soon) You think a 525 is too much power for him. We ride about 10k a year so comfort is way up in the priorities also. Any input would be great. He's fairly responsible and I just don't want him to hurt himself. I'm 33 so I have many years to enjoy riding with him.

My wife thinks the KFX450r is it because it's cute.lol

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Polaris IRS 525, raptor 350 or 400EX. (in no particular order)

You can get a used 400EX 2005 on up and it will have reverse and be bullet proof even with bolt ons.

I have a buddy with the KTM 525XC and he's had all kinds of problems with head bolts coming out of the motor and whatnot. His son is 14 and has the Polaris 525s and hasn't had any issues like that with the same motor. (he has had other issues with the rest of the quad though)

Yamaha makes a great raptor 350 and 700r.

Oh, and as far as the KFX goes, they look better than any other quad out there (IMO). The reviews that I've seen in the forums hasn't been to sparkling. Check out the KFX450 forum over on exriders.com.

The suzuki 450 seems to be a good quad, but might be a little too wide and high-strung for trail use.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polaris IRS 525, raptor 350 or 400EX. (in no particular order)

You can get a used 400EX 2005 on up and it will have reverse and be bullet proof even with bolt ons.

I have a buddy with the KTM 525XC and he's had all kinds of problems with head bolts coming out of the motor and whatnot. His son is 14 and has the Polaris 525s and hasn't had any issues like that with the same motor. (he has had other issues with the rest of the quad though)

Yamaha makes a great raptor 350 and 700r.

Oh, and as far as the KFX goes, they look better than any other quad out there (IMO). The reviews that I've seen in the forums hasn't been to sparkling. Check out the KFX450 forum over on exriders.com.

The suzuki 450 seems to be a good quad, but might be a little too wide and high-strung for trail use.
Must have reverse. It'll definitely be new also. The Raptor 350 isn't really that far off from what he has now. I'm kinda nervous with putting him on any of the 450's or bigger. Just not much choice for IRS. They need a 400 in IRS.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Since you talked about ground clearence I wouldn't go with anything other than the outlaw since he doesn't like the XX. Him being 14 makes me nervous though, although you say he rides responsible the younger guys tend to lose respect for machines and get into trouble. This can easily happen with the outlaw since its a rocket ship. From what you described I would definitely get that and you'll clear up those clearence issues!

·
Registered
108 Posts
what about a 500 renegade? the 400x is a good reliable bike, but it is a little low to be following a 700xx and a gade around. you could put some go-fast goodies on the 300ex? hotcam, etc and wait til hes a little bigger and get him a 450 or outlaw..

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Like you said, the raptor 350 is probably just as fast as what he has now and handles worse. I would definitely go with a Z400. Liquid cooled, reverse, and great handling. I think that would be perfect for a 14 yr old, and he wont outgrow it anytime soon.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think the Z400 would be the way too go, these are plenty fast even for some experienced adult riders. They handle great, very reliable, plenty of hop-up parts available. Our DVX400 (a Suzuki Z400 with Arctic Cat plastic) is a great trail machine, and too be honest if my wife hadn't bought me the 700XX I was ready too settle on the 09 Z400 because of the experience we've had already, Price and the EFI. Our fourteen year old is chomping at the bit to confiscate his mothers DVX.

Some taller tires should be used as the ground clearence is really its biggest "hang up".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts