Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I picked up a 2008 TRX700XX is super clean and ran great i put an exhaust on quad and now it will not start? When i got done installing the exhaust, i unhooked battery and tried firing it up, two back fires and then just ran battery down. Do I need a fuel controller or what?? I figured I may need one but I thought it would at least start?? HELP!!!
Wayne

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
wbwayne00,
Fuel is on-- right? Petcock on left side under the tank is in on position--right?
Kill switch --off position--right?
Disconnected the battery--why? Need battery to operate the fuel pump and injection system.
Try some of these things before spending big bucks
Sid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have not checked the fuel line....I have not even ridden the quad except off the trailer into my storage area, and put the exhaust on..If it is the fuel being off I am going to kick myself in the a$$!! Heck I am going to the office now to check it...
Wayne

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the petcock it is on, when it is turning over after cranking on it awhile it smells of gas, I am not giving it any throttle or anything due to the fuel injection. It sure as heck seems as if there is for sure no fire at all now. I sprayed off the dust from wheni bought it with a pressure washer plugged up exhaust and intake is there something that could of shorted out? I am at a loss??? any ideas that I could check oiut would be appreciated thanks in advance.
Wayne

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
wbwayne00,
Is the gasoline fresh? Check that if that is the original gasoline it will smell somewhat like turpentine. Very Bad!!!! Fuel system must be cleaned. Drain system and try fresh gasoline. Could be a wet spark plug from the cranking if the gasoline is not spoiled. You power washed after purchase. Pressure washing is sometimes not desirable due to infiltration into delicate circuits but regular washing is OK. Check to make sure the kill switch is in the off position. What about the air cleaner? You didn't mention looking at it. I've seen mouse nests in the air box after long term storage.
Check oil level. It may look like it needs oil but don't be alarm these machines, with the dry sump are difficult to check for oil level. The engine needs to be run for a while to pump the oil from the crankcase back into the oil reservoir.
Backtrack the installation of the exhaust system to make sure no wires were inadvertently disconnected.
Please keep us updated
Sid

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have you cleaned or re oiled the filter at all? Caus I had a similar problem once, bit it was due to the type of spray oil I used on the filter, also check that the temp sender in the air box is clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Airbox is clean, Gasoline is fresh, I smell fuel I am leaning towards a bad spark plug. I have not even pulled it yet but I will pick one up on the way in tomorrow.
I will update when i get this thing going..
Wayne

·
Registered
184 Posts
You said you put a exhaust on, it come new, you sure there isn't anything stuck in the header pipe or tail pipe clogging it up bad ? That would cause it not to start.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wayne,
Have you resolved the problem with you machine? Hope so! Let us know. That information could and should help someone else that is experiencing the same symptoms with their quad.
Thanks,
Sid

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Did you simply remove the old (stock) exhaust and replace it with an aftermarket one and did nothing else to the xx ?
And was it a full system (headpipe and muffler) or just a slipon muffler ?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
fuel air spark and compression is all she need to run. try putting the old exhaust back on and run with out an air filter to see if it will fire but check spark first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok got it going Spark Plug was fouled out smelled of gas pretty bad... Now the issue is the head pipe glowing red at idle and popping and backfiring. Do I need a fuel controller and intake or is the computer capable of relearning???
The exhaust I got is an AC racing exhaust I know not top of the line but full exhaust for $125 new was a display model...

Wayne

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Wayne--The computer isn't capable of learning like a car can, because there's no O2 sensor. So without a feedback loop, the engine doesn't know it's not running right. A fuel controller is the only way to fix it right. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tom think i am going with the EHS set up...Thanks everyone if anyone is interested in buying this thing I have it for sale. Thanks guys!!

Wayne

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wayne,
I highly recommend that you put the original exhaust system back on, get the machine running correctly, get some good riding on it and then think of upgrades you want. You need a "bench-mark" (a point of reference by which you can compare how changes to any part of the XX affects the performance whether it be to the engine, suspension, and/or overall performance).
Make changes incrementally. I recommend you don't do them all at once.
Note: All of the above are my opinion only. This is based on many years of experience. I have chased my tail many times trying to figure out which change I made caused a machine to run like He-l.
Glad the new plug got you back from where you were.
Sid

1 - 17 of 17 Posts