Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new Intake mocked up. This is just a prototype still working out the kinks. Carbon Fiber intake tube.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
nice will u be selling these

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Looks nice but I'm also worried about dirt/water. Perhaps if there was a wall/floor under the filter, this would eliminate some of the dirt/dust/water

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said this is just a mock up There will be a shield to protect from dirt and water that gets slung up that way. This is not a performance upgrade for someone who rides in the mud a lot. I run the same type of set up on my YFZ 450 and never have a problem with dust or mud. Pre-Filters are a must for this set up. If you run in the sand this will work fine. For dusty areas you might want to run a UNI.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice will u be selling these
I am looking into a more productive way of getting them together. When I get that straightened out yes I will be selling a kit. I may also offer a cheaper aluminum intake set up.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Nice work

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I am looking into a more productive way of getting them together. When I get that straightened out yes I will be selling a kit. I may also offer a cheaper aluminum intake set up.
nice... will u make a oversize intake box for us more trail ridin guys.

i was thinking what if u made the inner surface like gulf balls surface ik my friend has this intake kit on his civic and the inner surface is like that and he got 7 more hp over his older k&n intake tube. plus some team made a body kit for a honda fit that has the same surface and they got more mpg..... this is based on the face that the pited surface of a gulf ball a very aerodynamic:hey:
just a idea....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice... will u make a oversize intake box for us more trail ridin guys.

i was thinking what if u made the inner surface like gulf balls surface ik my friend has this intake kit on his civic and the inner surface is like that and he got 7 more hp over his older k&n intake tube. plus some team made a body kit for a honda fit that has the same surface and they got more mpg..... this is based on the face that the pited surface of a gulf ball a very aerodynamic:hey:
just a idea....
I will look into this. I have herd of using veins in the intake to help direct airflow. I will try a few different things and see what the dyno numbers will look like.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
sweet its nice that someone is finally lookin into this.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I dont need the kit thanks any way. I have plenty of materials I was just wondering If he had already made a mold for his kit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Being a newb I tried some google searches for how to's etc. Would PVC work as a good mold? Or maybe exhaust pipe so you could bend etc?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Being a newb I tried some google searches for how to's etc. Would PVC work as a good mold? Or maybe exhaust pipe so you could bend etc?
You have to keep in mind you need to be able to remove your mold from the finished piece. If you want to have just the look of carbon fiber you can just rap an existing piece.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so you used carbon cloth and resin? What did you use as a mold? Also you could build the box from carbon. expensive but light and very durable. What do you do for work yfz. do you work with composites??
I used to do Energy Efficient Lighting for large companies like Toyota, Gap, CAT. I needed a change and did not enjoy the weeks out of town. It's been two months now with no work. I had saved some money and now I am using it to hit the composites business head on.

I have been using foam to mock up my base mold. From there I will be looking into a more efficient way of mass producing these composite tubes. I am considering a method known as air bagging. This process involves an inflatable bladder in the shape of the desired part. As soon as I am able to locate a dependable vendor I will begin producing these intakes for sale.

I do plan on testing this set up on the dyno. There are a few different designs I am working on for the 700xx. The numbers will be the deciding factor for the design that will be chosen.

The kit will include 1 Carbon Fiber intake tube (no fiberglass used as fill), a special poly mount that will attach to the existing filter box mounting crossmember, 1 rubber boot, 2 hose clamps, and your choice of k&n or UNI air filter and optional pre-filter.

I will also be producing other carbon fiber parts for ATV, Snowmobile, motorcycle, and marine powersports. If there is a part you are interested in please feel free to PM me I will be glad to help you out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts