Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put in a new hotcam, and the thing makes a valve "ticking" sound (the lash is set right) when the bike warms up. I was thinking I might try some 20W50 to reduce the noise. Anybody think this is a good idea??

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
too thick . . . :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I was told to try some full synthetic to help quiet the ticking sound the hot cams make. I would stick to a 10w-40 full synthetic.

·
Registered
755 Posts
What makes the hot cams tick?

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I was told it is the stock springs working harder due to the cam having more lift and duration. It kinda sounds like the valves are out of adjustment.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was told it is the stock springs working harder due to the cam having more lift and duration. It kinda sounds like the valves are out of adjustment.
So would stiffer springs get rid of it? I've been thinking about hot cam stage 2.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Im not sure? I have heard the Webb cams are quieter but they use stiffer springs. I guess it's possible. The hot cams are designed to work with stock springs,piston and rockers though? It's not that bad though. My Barker pipe is Friggin loud as hell! So I don't really notice It that much.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I've had 4 different cams in my XX and they all made noise.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I recently put in a new hotcam, and the thing makes a valve "ticking" sound (the lash is set right) when the bike warms up. I was thinking I might try some 20W50 to reduce the noise. Anybody think this is a good idea??
not a good idea do not run heavy oil in these imo run good light weight oil

readjust valves they need to pull tension with the measurement not just be able to fit in there one person defination of .008 and another can be .003-.004 apart you probably have them to loose

·
Registered
239 Posts
HP4S Honda Oil with out moly additives is the best you can run... my 0.02$

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

readjust valves they need to pull tension with the measurement not just be able to fit in there one person defination of .008 and another can be .003-.004 apart you probably have them to loose
Im afraid i got um too tight now it coughs a little sometimes on a hot start. Also i would be fine with running $9 a quart oil if it helped

·
Registered
201 Posts
whats wrong with 20w50? i have been running it in my 450 since new with no issues...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

I changed the oil today (lucas semi synthetic high performance motorcycle oil 10W40) and readjusted the Lash....... The cam Is quieter now but the hot start issue is still there..... You don't think I have the lash THAT tight do ya??? I would call it medium drag on the gage.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
whats wrong with 20w50? i have been running it in my 450 since new with no issues...
Its harder for the engine to push that heavy oil to the top of the cylinder especially, if its cold outside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts