Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading around on here and debating what to do, I finally broke over and scored a set of Fox Podium X shocks for the front. Came off a 2008 Outlaw. Found them on Ebay, gave right at $600 for the pair, they say they're off a new machine never ridden.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220717116081

I hope these will bolt up with little or no modifications, and work better than the stock shocks.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
nice i think you may have to grind the top bushing a little according to other member that did it i dont think his had reservoirs either, you got better shocks i think and probally gained an inch or two of travel,they got to work better than stock thats for sure

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bro, not being rude but for that price you should have got Elka stage 1s built to your specs.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got to looking around at the seller's other items, and it appears they are parting out an 08 outlaw, but it was a 450 straight axle model. Probably a safe bet the front shocks I bought were off the Outlaw 450. Will these still work on my XX? I originally assumed an outlaw was the IRS model.

Hate to find out stuff like this after the fact...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bro I dont know, but dont ya hate that. Dont do to much grinding and cutting to make them fit. the DS conversion was way to much cutting and grinding for me. I think the MX and IRS version run the same front end minus the remote cans on the front of the 450.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was also considering the DS450 shocks, but I didn't like all the cutting and grinding, especially on the frame mounts. I understand from another post on here you only have to cut down the upper bushing slightly to make the outlaw shocks fit. I just hope the MX shocks arent too far off for the weight of the 700xx and trail riding.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Shocks

Mate, take your time with the shock mods, see if ya can get them miled down profesionaly to make them look nice and pro. You should be able to get upgraded springs and valving from Fox if there a bit soft.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got them in yesterday, and got 'em mounted today. They are well made, with the exception of the bushings which are kind of cheap IMO. The upper and lower bushings are just steel sleeves with no dust seals whatsoever, so I'll have to keep an eye on 'em and keep them greased. These are preload and compression only adjustable, with no rebound adjustment that I can tell. I took several pictures of the process, so here goes:

New Shocks as received:

Cheaply made bushings:

The upper bushings had to be cut down to fit the 700XX frame upper mounts. The upper eyelets on the new Fox Shocks were the exact thickness thay needed to be, so only the plastic inserts and steel sleeve had to be cut down:

I used a C-Clamp and sockets to press out the sleeves and plastic inserts to cut them down. Measured the thickness of the stock bushing spacer and locked in the calipers, and used them as a guide to cut the Fox bushing and spacer. When doing this you want to make the inner spacer just slightly wider than the outer sleeve, so it can rotate when the mounting ears are clamped down around it.

Then the cut inserts and spacers were pressed back into the upper eyelets:

Cleaned up the parts to remove any metal shavings, and thoroughly greased the bushings with good waterproof grease. Got them mounted and adjusted the ride height and had to readjust the toe in.

Gonna try them out tomorrow...:hey:

·
Registered
369 Posts
so u didn't have to cut anything off of the frame like with the ds shocks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are 1/4" longer than the stockers, and I did not have to cut the frame. They do just touch the frame at full extension, but it wasn't binding up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Spot on :tup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
how did you get the bushings out, and press them back in?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how did you get the bushings out, and press them back in?
I used a C-clamp and sockets to make a press. The smaller socket fits on the outer sleeve, and the larger socket goes on the back of the plastic insert to hold it. Tighten the C-clamp and the small socket presses out the sleeve into the large socket.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hm, good idea. VERY interested to see how they perform. what are the main differences between our stock front shocks an a regular set of fox podiums without the remote res? See a bunch of em on ebay for cheap money.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I rode them Sunday in mixed trail conditions from large rocks to gravel roads. I had only cranked up the preload, it sat kind of low as setup for the Outlaw, and I never touched the compression. They were firmer than stock, and I think I need to lower the ride height and soften the compression setting. It was great in smooth to mildly rough terrain, but was a bit too stiff in the rocks. I'm sure they just need dialed in for trail riding, since they were originally setup for MX on the Outlaw 450.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's why I'm wondering if instead of putting the fox podium with remotes res. from the outlaw MXER, put the regular front podiums shocks from the regular 525. But I'm just wondering if it's even an upgrade from our stock shocks?

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's why I'm wondering if instead of putting the fox podium with remotes res. from the outlaw MXER, put the regular front podiums shocks from the regular 525. But I'm just wondering if it's even an upgrade from our stock shocks?
I guess that if they are Fox they stand a good chance of being better...anyone even know who made the front shocks on the XX ??? My guess is a circa 1970's re-tooled pogo stick factory in China...

I guess you could fish around on a 525 site to see what everyone is saying about them...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts