Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are most of you using for gas, 89, 92+ or 100+
Usually I mix it between 92 and 89 but last time I rode with Phucknutz, he let me used some of his gas which I think that it was 103 and talk about a big difference in throttle response and performance so now he has me hook so I found one place about 30 miles away that sells the the Sunoco GT100, has anybody used this gas or basically have most of you tried a higher octane gas in your bike and have u noticed a difference towards performance and comsumption, know that his bike used more gas than ours but we do not have all the high performance stuff into our engine.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Higher octane will not give you more power on a stock/stockish bike. Oxygenated fuel will make power, The more intake restriction you have the more pronounced it will be. Exactly what fuel did you use?

I use VPracing U4.2 which is lightly leaded and Oxygenated. Makes a notable difference in my bike.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would need to ask Phucknutz since it was his gas that I used, sorry!

·
Registered
671 Posts
My backup 450R and 700XX I run 91 in, (Highest octane you can get at the pump other then race fuel.) while when I just go and test or play ride with my race 450R, I run straight 91, but when I race, I run a mix of 91 and 100. (There are a few places in town that sell 100 octane unleaded at the pump.) My race 450R is right at the limit of pump gas, but due to the length of the races, I feel better running a little higher octance. It is hard to explain, but my race 450R does run better on the 100/91 mixxed stuff. Does nothing for power, but it just seems to be "crisper", not really sure how to explain it. I have ran left over mixxed fuel in my back up 450R also, and have noticed the same difference.

My only explaination is the 100 octane is "cleaner". The normal pump gas around here has alot of additives in it, and the 100 does not, so that is my reasoning why it runs better. All the pump gas in Vegas comes from California, so who knows what kind of stuff they put in it to fight smog. (the 100 is from a local fuel supplier.) Granted, I am not running straight 100, so there is still "dirty" 91 in there, but just half 100 makes a noticeble difference. I have ran straight 100, and do not feel any difference between straight and mixxed. I guess just some good fuel is all it takes to fight off the bad fuel!

If you went and fueled up one of my quads with either 91 or a 91/100 mix and did not tell my what you filled it up with, after I rode the quad, I could tell you, it really is that noticeable. If I could afford it, I would run nothing but mixxed stuff, but it does get a little expensive.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
What compression is the 450r?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Nothing but 93 or 94. I wish I could find some 103 or 104. I go through gas too much to spend 5 or 6 bucks a gallon.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The U4.2 is 12 bucks gallon. I only run about 3 gallons a month working offshore though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I always run 93 and no problems .... Every gas station within a few hundred miles of here have at least 93. Some stations have 100, 103 and there are even some stations that have 112. I haven't run any 112 in my 700, but I have run some 112 in my gsxr before. It made it feel like it had more power, whether it was in my head or not. The best thing was the smell!!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Basically that's what I felt, better throttle response and crispier. Never said that it boosted the power of it just better response.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Basically that's what I felt, better throttle response and crispier. Never said that it boosted the power of it just better response.

Joe, I thought about trying it myself. One of our techs here at our dealership just bought a 55 gallon drum with a couple of his friends
and suggested I try it. He said that exact same thing; better throttle response. He also runs it in his Mustang and I want to say its 100 or 103 maybe but I can ask him tomorrow.

Dan

·
Registered
667 Posts
It was 110 octane Sunoco leaded race fuel. $8.00 a gallon. I get it at a race shop. Joe had 89 in his tank and it will help, i could hear his knocking before I mixed the 110 with it.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
There can be a difference between pump 93 and a higher octance fuel it wont come directly from the octane content but what the gas is cut with. A lot of fuels contain 15% ethanol which will burn different and require different amounts to maintain the same stiohmetrich (i know its not spelled right) value. On a closed loop system it will compensate for it on a open loop it pushes the same amount of fuel no matter what. So he can and may have very well scene a difference. There is a lot more to fuel than octane content

·
Registered
667 Posts
Eric, the bike runs alot better on the 110 leaded fuel!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
your bike will respond to it better than a stock one for sure. Fuel HP gains are minimal it a lot of aspects i have been testing many many race fuels to find what works best its no cheap process at 12-18 a gallon but its what it takes to be #1 in drag racing world. I have some stuff i may be able to get but its closer to $50 a gallon thats supposed to be awsome we will see.

like i said above a stock one can see a gain from it but its not mainly due to the octane content its what else is in the fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
My race 450R is 12.5:1, while my other 450R is 11:1.

Doug
12.5:1 is way to much for 91, You should be running the 100 straight for that compression. The power your feeling is from not having detonation.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went to Sunoco tonight trying to purchase some 100 but the station is no longer there, talk about being piss especially since i drove 30 miles.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts