Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I am an engineer and I've been in the oil and gas business my entire life. Everything you just posted is in fact wrong and obviously straight out of Google. Every single statement. You are a young, arrogant, and ignorant man.

Oil pressure is not created by gas pressure unless you have seriously disturbed the formation with fractionation. Oil is obviously in the bottom of the formation, not above the gas. It's fine with me that you do not have the common sense to see this, but belligerently, condescendingly addressing me if I'm as ignorant as you is very offensive. Even a child can picture a container partially filled with a gas that is lighter than oil. If you puncture the formation at a low end, the pressure is strictly hydrostatic pressure due to the pressure of the gas ABOVE the oil in a higher area of the formation, or contrary to your logic, the sheer pressure of having millions of barrels of oil above the location of your well.

Regarding BOPs, you have no idea what you are talking about. Period. I've been buying and using them longer than you've been alive. You are blindly speaking of custom-made off-shore BOPs, which I seriously doubt even with your spectacular wikipedia skills that you understand even those.

You, young man, are blinded by your hostility and your arrogant need to assert yourself due to your obvious feelings of inadequacy. Someone clearly didn't give you the attention that you feel you deserved at some point. You should either get off the drugs you're on or spend more time looking in the mirror asking yourself who the hell you think you are. I will no longer degrade myself by engaging you. To everyone else, I will spare you from having to endure these tantrums.
Your talking out of your ass and coming back with a post full of proper etiquette isn't making you look any smarter in my eyes. I do not need google or wiki, I've worked hand and hand in the oilfield for the past 13 yrs and have exceeded past many Sr workers along the way.

Your entire first paragraph is absurd and rambling. It does not make a bit of sense! Oil WILL NOT come out of the ground without gas to assist it. It does not matter how much pressure the formation asserts it WILL NOT come out of the ground without gas! (or water flooding to be exact)

BOP's Again.... You have no idea. First off you posted no one could dream what size BOP it would take to contain 2000 barrels of oil. We have wells making 20,000-50,000 bbls of oil per day and use the standard everyday BOP to drill it. A BOP is simply a hydraulic valve. The only size requirement is for it to bolt to the pipe your drilling through, It has NOTHING to do with the quantity of oil. A BOP is NOT containment equipment.

lol, Your last paragraph is amusing. I don't see it as an attempt to slander me. Your merely trying to create an escape route for this hole you dug. I would have let this go, But coming back with an entire three paragraphs of dog shit.... I'm bout to ride you with every quarter I got.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Smooth1

You sure know how to make people mad!! If I'm not wrong, this is not the first time that you've done so. Guess that we need to find ourselves an engineer to let us know the facts before we get too mean, this is suppose to be a light conversation and not a demeaning one. Everybody is allowed to their own opinion without being trash.
If you knew everything he posted was complete and utter BS you would be like WTF also. I'm stunned by crap this guy has posted and even trying to defend it. Although I've made others mad before we still get along (Hi Dave lol) but with this guy I just can't get over his ignorance.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Is a BOP a valve that controls the backflow of the oil and is basically size for the amount of pressure created and not by the amount of oil produce. Trying to understand this, never late to learn something new :)

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Here's some info that I found;
A blowout is caused when formation pore pressure is greater than the wellbore's hydrostatic pressure at depth, along with the failure of a combination of well control systems – primarily drilling mud hydrostatics and blow-out preventers (BOPs).
When such an incident occurs, formation fluids (oil, natural gas and/or water) begin to flow into the wellbore and up the annulus (the annular space between the outside of the drill string and the walls of the open hole or the inside of the last casing string set), and/or inside the drill pipe. This is commonly called a kick. If the well is not shut in (common term for the closing of the blow-out preventer valves), a kick can quickly escalate into a blowout when the formation fluids reach the surface, especially when the influx contains gas that expands rapidly as it flows up the wellbore, further decreasing the effective weight of the fluid.
The gas and other hydrocarbons commonly ignite during a blow-out, creating an explosion followed by a vigorous fire that is difficult to extinguish.
Blowouts can cause significant damage to drilling rigs, injuries or fatalities to rig personnel, and significant damage to the environment if hydrocarbons are released.
Prior to the development of blow-out preventers and the advent of the rotary drilling process, which generally required the hole to be filled with drilling fluid, blowouts were common during drilling operations, and were referred to as gushers.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Is a BOP a valve that controls the backflow of the oil and is basically size for the amount of pressure created and not by the amount of oil produce. Trying to understand this, never late to learn something new :)
Yes. The BOP is simply a hydraulic valve. It is mounted at the top of the Riser (pipe your drilling through) Most all BOP are rated for the same pressure and the amount of oil produced has NO effect on it.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Yes. The BOP is simply a hydraulic valve. It is mounted at the top of the Riser (pipe your drilling through) Most all BOP are rated for the same pressure and the amount of oil produced has NO effect on it.
Cool! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
122 Posts
Blowouts are from higher hydrostatic pressure in the hole than above it. Oil, gas, drilling fluids all cause it. I watched the worst well fire in Tennessee history and the culprit was oil pressure, with no gas at all, combined with a BOP that was too small for the job. The biggest problem is that BOPs come in different sizes. If you encounter much, much greater pressures than you anticipated, then have too small a BOP, you're screwed with current technology. BOPs will fail no matter what because you can never know what is in the hole. Thus, is some rare cases, like the one I saw in TN where the well produced over 2,000 BBL per day with no pump, you cannot possibly dream of a big enough BOP to contain it. That well caught on fire and drained straight into a National Recreation Area river, on fire. It was ugly.

The "fix" is going to require major overhauls in laws and technology. The technology has to come first.

I am not going to deep in this..... In lite of the comment of the well in Tn PRODUCING 2000 bbl a day and there not being a bop big enough to contain it is not very accurate......

First off the 2000 BBL per/day is based on a dry well that has been frac'd for production. When drilling a well with HP gas you have multiple things that come in to aid the BOP, the man thing being MUD, When you take a kick it is not like the BOP just traps the gas and lets it just build pressure. All the BOP does is stop the gas from escaping thru the top of the well head onto the rig floor.

Once you actually take a kick you will close Ram's on your BOP, open choke manifold, and devert gas to a flare stack or open pit, While this helps manage the pressure being released from the well, the rig hands will be mixing mud untill they get there mud weight up high enough to push the gas back down.

Basicly what I am saying is you can controll how much Pressure is being put on your BOP Stack.

Robotaz you said you are a Engineer in the Industry, If you don't mind me asking what exactly do u do? Just wondering because earlier n your post u said that but u also said u don't actually work on the rigs but yet you use BOP's all the time? Just wondering I'm kinda confused.:confused:

I also am a engineer, but I am on the rigs everyday, Have been in the Oil Patch my whole life.

(Smooth.... I think you did a good job trying to explain everything its just a forum! There was no reason for this to get that out of hand)

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
:lmao: Somebody need's to do some teaching, This thread got way off topic it was originally just a best wishes to all those lost and then it became a all out debate. WTF :steamed: :lmao:

Amen to that.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Scuzz, Raffinate splitter tower's are located in refinery plants. That is not a piece of equipment used on drilling rigs. The article this came from must have been from the BP plant explosion in Texas.

The main cause of the event's on the rig were faulty BOP's. The BOP's had recently been tested. While the pipe rams were closed the drill pipe was accidently pulled through the rams. This stripped the sealant from the rams and is the reason they failed then from sealing it off and why it cannot seal now. The main question is when were the BOP's tested and accidently stripped through. If they continued operations with them knowingly damaged BP and Transocean will be in deep sh1t. If the well was secured and they were planning repair then it was not negligence.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts