Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much oil do you put in your 700? The book says 1.9quarts, I put two in mine and it is only about 1/4 way up the dipstick. I dont want to add to much so I figured I would ask before any more goes in.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
NVERL8,
Ride the machine for a few minutes then check the oil soon after. I usually put in just a small amount more just to bring it to the top line. You can’t just put the oil in and then check it. The owner’s manual is helpful in these areas.
Sid

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea I just got the bike and no manual, however I am bidding on one on ebay so I hope to soon have one. My buddy that has a 700 says his manual says to idle for 3 minutes then check, and thats what I did and it is at the low end of the range with 2 quarts in it. I just want to be sure I am correct in putting a little more in given the 1.9 quart capacity listed in the specs

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
You can download the manual on here for free.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried that, it just keeps coming up with a notification that the web address has been shut down due to piracy

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oil level is something I fight with on this bike. I change my oil by the book and it's at a different level every time I check it. My 450R was consistent and was always at the same level. A honda tech told me to quit worrying about it as long as there was oil on the dipstick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Works for me, I put the recomended amount in so Im going to go with that i guess

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not but in mine when I change my oil & filter I put 2.2 L in & it brings it right up to the top of the dip stick. I measured it once & then after verytime I just drop in 2.2L + check it & it's always been good. Hope this helps.

Regards, Joey.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oil level is something I fight with on this bike. I change my oil by the book and it's at a different level every time I check it. My 450R was consistent and was always at the same level. A honda tech told me to quit worrying about it as long as there was oil on the dipstick.
Same thing I deal with. If I drain the tank,crank case and change the filter I just put 2 qts back in it and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I put 2.1 litres (Quarts ,US) in the motor every oil/filter change. I do this after every race wether it be 1hour blasting around the ovals or a 3 hour XC. If you have oil on the dipstick about a 1/4 the way up , you're OK. So I am kinda going with next quote. Even though the oil tank may seem low the engine always has the correct amount of oil to circulate around the motor. It has 2 oil pumps, 1 for the motor and 1 that regulates the amount in the motor and transfers it to the oil tank. Unless you really go over board on adding the oil , you can't do any damage to the motor as this is regulated. I add a little more than stock due to Honda's design were the excess is actually forced into the head and lubes the cam. It won't be passed to the air filter unless you have ,major (08700xx) mods ,bad rings or the motor is getting too hot.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Same thing I deal with. If I drain the tank,crank case and change the filter I just put 2 qts back in it and never had a problem.
Same here 2 qts. I mean wth are going to do with the 0.1 qt left over anyways?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
When you change the oil is it just the engine or is there gear oil on the 700 as well?
Nope just make sure to drain the crank case, filter and the main tank. After that just put 2 qt. back in it. Make sure it is for wet clutch and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Pazzo8,
That dip stick for the oil is going to fool you all the time. If all the areas are drained the two quart refill is great. Note: Use your owner’s manual to find the crank case plug and watch out for the washers behind the two drain plugs (crank and sump), Additionally, make sure your filter is installed with the writing facing out just like the small paper with the Honda filter describes.
Sid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts