Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've never heard of a cooler for a XX but I'm sure these guys http://www.thinkauto.com/ can make up something for you.

IMO you really need to address why you are running hot, an oil cooler only treats the symptom not the core issue.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never heard of a cooler for a XX but I'm sure these guys http://www.thinkauto.com/ can make up something for you.

IMO you really need to address why you are running hot, an oil cooler only treats the symptom not the core issue.
I'll write everything down and post it . It confused me because one problem seemed too lean and another seemed too rich. Had a rough day on Sunday blinding dust and really tight woods sections . Gunna have check rear end to see if anything is bent. Me and the xx had a bad day !

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to manually switch the fan on. It would be nice to be able to hit a switch when you are racing and know that the fan is on cooling the fluids. You could mount it on the handle bars. Maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Perhaps if someone would built a radiator that also includes an oil cooler like our cars have but it's for the transmission fluid. Basically the oil would go thru the radiator prior of going back into the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Sweet but expensive $$$

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Adding an oil cooler will not lower engine temperatures. As OZLinc mentioned you should fix the overheating problem first. Are you running the full air deflector on the front of the XX?

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Adding an oil cooler will not lower engine temperatures. As OZLinc mentioned you should fix the overheating problem first. Are you running the full air deflector on the front of the XX?
Where's OZLinc post. Do not see why it wouldn't lower the oil temperature, basically does the same function as a transmission cooler or even a turbo cooler,
cool air = cooler oil

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
It will lower the oil temperature but it will not lower the engine temp. To be specific, the engine temp may lower by 1-3 degrees from cooling the oil but you will still have an over heated water circulating in the engine breaking down the oil.

Baxter - How do you know the engine is running hot?

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
It will lower the oil temperature but it will not lower the engine temp. To be specific, the engine temp may lower by 1-3 degrees from cooling the oil but you will still have an over heated water circulating in the engine breaking down the oil.

That I agree with you, the oil might be cooler but the engine might be still hot due to something else keeping it that way

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The header pipe went blue and could feel the heat on my leg and face.
I am still at work for another 6 hours then I'll post all symptons and when they occured.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok
Started bike to go to start line ,a bit of popping and spluttering nothing to worry about . Started race and everything was running fine until lap 2 when entered woodland for second time . There were a few sra stuck on one corner and had to wait probably about 20 seconds and when I stopped I could feel the heat of the engine on my right leg , I lent over and could feel the heat on my face and the exhaust was blue. The woodlands were very tight and the clutch was used alot. Set off after waiting and 50yds further the clutch gained a serious amount of free play .Took 3 complete turns of the adjuster. the engine run fine in both the woodlands and fast bits.It seemed get through the rpms faster than normal .
All this would suggest a lean setting .
Anyway stopped at 2 hour mark for more fuel and noticed it had only used 5 or 6 litres which seemed off.
Filled tank up and set off for the last hour and noticed it stalling alot at low rpm in the woods , It would pop and die. It did this about 10 times per lap and I could not seem to keep the front end down and missed alot of corners due to this. I also noticed it sluggish at high rpm's and struggled after 3/4 rev in 5th.
I did 7 laps before stop and 4 laps after . On the last lap about 1/3 the way round it started to cut out and died like it was running outta fuel so switched to reserve and finished the lap.
I have not checked spark plug or how much fuel is left in the tank.
The air filter is full of dust and I ran the 14t sprocket which is going in the bin.
I am going to check the filter in the pump and change the clutch cable.
Thanks for any help :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you are using less fuel and it is getting hotter, I would think it is the fuel delivery system. Maybe something is plugged up. Your bike could be getting hot for the simple fact its not running right. If the motor is struggling, it has to work harder and therefor overheating. Maybe its your programmer malfunctioning. I would definitely check the connections if you are running a programmer and check all the fuel system.

·
Registered
437 Posts
maybe YOU are too fast for the 700xx? .....i have no clue.....muddy/clogged radiator? If its not your fuel settings maybe another thing you can try is switching out your stock coolant with something like Engine Ice and look for an aftermarket fan to pull more air through. I have a 1985 Yamaha Vmax that is built and when I had it dyno'd the fuel curve was perfect...but it just ran hotter than it should. I put Engine Ice in, threw a muzzy aftermarket six blade fan on and found the thermostat and swithced it from at 220(?) degree one that opens at 180......problem solved!.........or the other thing it could be is something mine seems to have alot.....paranoid rider that thinks something is wrong all the time when there is nothing wrong....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts