Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want some opinions on how often everyone changes their oil. I use Honda GN4 10w-40 in accordance with an hour meter on the 700xx dash.

So, using GN4 oil, how many estimated hours per change does everyone recommend? I heard/read/researched that a conventional oil will burn significantly quicker than a synthetic oil.

So.. every 10 hours? ...15 hours? ...20 hours? ...more?
I'm currently at 3 hours and the GN4 looks really clean.

Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never thought about looking in the manual for oil changes per hour. However, 100 hours sounds high IMO. Wouldn't you think it would be burnt by then?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
every 4 or five rides between 10-20 hrs after about 10 hrs is when mine starts turning black i wouldnt let it go over 20 hrs between oil changes

·
Registered
100 Posts
I change pretty frequently, after every 2-3 rides or 10hrs. It is cheap insurance if for some reason sand or other contaminates gets in your oil. I know the manual says way different but maybe I just over do it. I also use Hondalube GN4. My manual says to use 10w30?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I do mine every 10 hours or sometimes even before that if I'm riding hard at the dunes. When Alba built my bike they told me to remember to change the oil a lot more now that my bike is making more power and sucking more air.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Oil Change

Mate, it depends on how hard you ride, I was GN4, ride hard and change every 750km, the oil still looks ok when it comes out, but its cheap insurance to stop engine failure. Always make sure you do the oil and filter at the same time. Dont do one with out the other, the 700xx runs a very small oil filter compared to a Raptor.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know synthetic oil is new technology, and I have run Mobil 1 in my yamahas before, but do you think GN4 is decent quality? I know it's a conventional oil, but it is made specifically for our bikes. Is it pretty much a coin flip to use GN4 vs synthetic in the 700xx or would synthetic be a much better choice in the long run?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Gn4

GN4 isnt a full synthetic but it uses synthetic additives. It is good quality oil and I suppose its expensive because it has Honda printed on it. If you look close on the back its made by Caltex.

If your changing your oil frequently say every 750km (I dont go by hours) your probably waisting your cash paying extra for full synthetic, but if I was racing say like the Baja, Fink Desert Race, Australian Safari etc I would probaly use a full synthetic. The secret to reliability is consistant oil changes no matter what quality oil you use.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I change my oil and filter every race (3hours) and use semi-syn. It maybe overkill but oil is cheaper than metal and it has started to have a strong fuel smell to the oil when changing it ,the last couple of times.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just check what it looks like before every ride - if it's lookin' dirty it gets a change... If I ride through some real deep nasty mud/water then I'll give it a change, just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I would say I am in the middle between predictive and preventative maintenance on the oil changes. Whenever I feel like it or think it needs it. Probably every 50 hours or so. That is just trail riding and messing around on Sunday afternoons. I generally change it right before weekend trips also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I changed mine after 20hours, it was still clear or the golden..you could still see through it. I run the GN4 in my Honda 450es, I use it for hunting and trail/mud/sand riding. I guess I had around 75hrs or 200 miles on it and it was still clear. I don't sink my 450es in the mud, I do give it Hell though...I had it out in the ice and snow..temp was 25 degrees and below so it did alot of idle time...I just putted along or it sat running while I loaded tree stands or deer up..I do check the oil level and see how dirty it is every few rides...If it starts to look dirty...Change it..The 700xx has been up the mountain a few times and been on some real dusty trails. It is still clean looking..

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I never installed an hour meter so I just just try and change it every three months r so. If I put some serious ride time on it I may change earlier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts