Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to do a project with my 12 year old grandson to show him what he can do. So we went "pick'en" and found this little 1981 atc 70 in a local junkyard. He is to do all the work and so far he has stripped it down so could send it to be powder coated. He also carefully bagged and labeled all the parts he took off. I havent turned a wrench on it, it's all him. It didnt have a gas tank but we found a good one but it's blue. Plan is to paint this tank to match my red and black 700XX and put some black plastics on it. I will try to keep updates on this thread if anyone is interested. Motor is next....

here is where we started, still in the junkyard

Here it is right now

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Dune64,
Outstanding project for you and your grandson. The only way to learn is by doing. Did he do the prep work on the frame?
Yes, by all means, keep us updated. Great choice of colors. :rock:
Please, lots of pictures.
Sid

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I wish I had a grandfather do this stuff with me when I was 12. Outstanding sir. When he looks back on this in the future, it's going to be important to him. Teach him some life lessons and spending good quality time with his gramps. It's looking great!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We spent another day together putting this little thing together. He put in all near axle bearings/seals and brakes, then cleaned up and painted all the axle parts before installing them. He still has a ways to go but atleast it's a roller now....

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
You 2 are building some serious memories in that garage, Good job!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have this 125cc Trail 70 too, but might be willing to trade it for????

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dune64,
Did you and your grandson do the green Honda too?
Really nice!!!
Sid
No, actually I was on craigslist looking for a motor and came across it. We got it really cheap and our plan was to put the new Lifan 125cc motor on the 3-wheeler but once we got it home, it's just too nice to pull apart. Haula azz with the 125 too!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I can't wait to see this bike all finished up. Looks like you guys are doing a really nice job. And spending time with the boy is great!

Shonie

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Dune64 you are a wonderful grandfather... your grandson must take after you! To have a 12 year old in the garage instead on texting or video gaming is the family we should all inspire to have! I was this age when me and my brother would tinker on my atc. No memories of my brother are fonder.

Keep posting you all are creating a fine ride there!

Nikki

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Nikki, he is my best friend.

It's been awhile since we worked on it, but he recently came across a water dipping paint proccess on you-tube and wante to try it out. Basicly you float testors (or any brand) of model paint on water and dip the part through it. Search it, it's pretty cool. This is the drum break cover off his ATC 70, I think it looks amazing!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dune64,
Great job. Do you have to protect it with some clear material or do you think it will durable enough?
Sid

yes, we did spray some rattle can clear on it.... cant hurt a thing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts