Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the pcv with auto tune work without maps.is this some thing I can order and put on myself that will automatically tune its self.right now I have a fmf 4.1 complete exhaust with power bomb header on it .was going to put new lid and uniflow air filter on it.do u have to have a labtop to put the pcv with auto tune on?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
You will need to load a base map into it, If you have a laptop it can be done yourself. There are dyno tuned maps available on this site that wouldn't need much if any tuning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about a fmf programmer?do u know anything about it?

·
Registered
984 Posts
You can load the base map using your desktop before installing the PC5. You will also need to get the O2 sensor bung welded to your header, if I remember correctly it goes around nine inches from the mounting flange. there is some pics of this on this site just search the threads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can load the base map using your desktop before installing the PC5. You will also need to get the O2 sensor bung welded to your header, if I remember correctly it goes around nine inches from the mounting flange. there is some pics of this on this site just search the threads.
Thanks...I decided to go with the fmf power programmer .ordered it today from Altus motorsports 224.00.hope it works

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The PCV operates off of a map just like the PCIII, what it does is slightly adjusts the map for changes in the weather/elevation and such. When I say slightly I do mean slightly. Its like a computer controlling the manual buttons on the PCIII(which is like 3% at best which is almost squat if your trying to tune instead of tweak). You need to tune the map and then the PCV can tweak from there.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
The PCV operates off of a map just like the PCIII, what it does is slightly adjusts the map for changes in the weather/elevation and such. When I say slightly I do mean slightly. Its like a computer controlling the manual buttons on the PCIII(which is like 3% at best which is almost squat if your trying to tune instead of tweak). You need to tune the map and then the PCV can tweak from there.

My PCV can adjust the base map up to 20%. You can set the allowable adjustment limits from 5-20% from base and also turn it off to run base only.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Thanks...I decided to go with the fmf power programmer .ordered it today from Altus motorsports 224.00.hope it works
What was the deciding factor to go with the FMF over any other programmer?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The further it has to adjust the worse of a job it does, 3% is about it on the accuracy. This is some of the "trouble" some tuners are having with the PCV.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was the deciding factor to go with the FMF over any other programmer?
I went with it because because it's from fmf same as my exhaust system,I don't have a computer or labtop,didn't want to weld anything to the header. Just seemed an easier fix somthing I could put on...hopfully without having to send it to a dealer.witch I found out later there are ajustments on it.I hope I can just install it and it works.maybe I won't have to send it to the dealer for ajustin it.I just wanted a quit fix the others seemed complicated to me.I had to have the dealer put the power commander on my vtx 1800 when I put hypercharger and exhaust system on it...and it wasn't cheap

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
You will be able to just plug it in and ride but there a bit hit or miss with running properly. Having the bike pop and die on decceleration is common with them. I know it's a bit late now but if you would have purchased a PCIII from Fuelmoto they load the maps in them for you free of charge and cost about 280.00. For future reference for others that may read this thread Vendors like Alba and EHS put allot more effort and dyno time into making there maps for Dobek controllers than say FMF of HMF. Simply stated any vendor that has a XX race quad will have much more invested in there map process.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The Dobeck style fuel controllers do fine for the average trail rider with mild to medium builds, the PC fuel controllers just allow a more precise fuel map adjustability. One thing the PCs have over all the others is you can take fuel away from the stock map like in situations were you are runnin a larger injector for big bore/stroker builds. The main thing it has over the rest is 250rpm increment adjustability which is why its more precise on the fuel metering. I have had a couple of XX owners that dont want to deal with programming the PC to dropship it to me and I load my map for them and send it on to em.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will the fmf programmer I bought be better than running nothing at all?wish I would have bought the pclll from fuelmoto.just 55.00 more.I quess if it doesn't work that well I can put it on my dads xx or his wifes.he doesn't want to spend any money on his. Says it runs fine and has same setup as me.thanks for all the info everyone.I'm new to this and have found alot of good stuff on here.the 700xx is my first quad and I don't much about them.thanks again

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sure, any fuel controller will be better than none at all. Ive actually told a few guys that if thats all they ever wanted to do was the Big 3 and just trail ride then the Dobeck style fuel controllers will do just fine. Thats what I started out on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats good to know...glad it wasn't a waist of money.what kind of air box lid and filter do I need.I want to go with a foam filter though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts