Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pretty much have no clue about pistons, cams, throttle bodies, and porting. I found a 12.5:1 piston for the xx and I wanted to know of any pros or cons vs a 12:1 or an 11:1. Also what cam should I run here? Hot cam stage 2?

Like I said before, I know very little about all of this. any help will be great. thanks.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depends on the fuel u want to run... for PUMP GAS 91 id recommend a 11:1 CP piston....
race gas/mix then go 12.5 or higher
well in oregon our pump gas goes up to 93 octane. thats what I run in it now. not sure thats enough to go with a 12:1 though. If I go with a 12 or 12.5 and I run the 93, will that hurt anything? a little knocking maybe? I really dont want to pay 6 bucks a gallon for 100 octane.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 12:1 CP piston but I run race gas with my build. I know a lot of the guys went with 11:1 so they could be ok on pump gas and they are making great power. I see Eric from EHS ran a HC3 on his project XX and it made good power. Here's a link to a HC3 for sale on our forum.
http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5945
what would be the main difference between a stage 2 and a stage 3?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow. Thanks a lot. that was a huge help. I might just run a 2 cam and an 11:1 piston until I can afford all the other parts and upgrade later.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eventually I wanted to port my head +1 valves. +3 throttle body. turbo? but all that is way in the future, so I figure I will start with the 11:1 and 2 cam then sell them for whatever I can get and upgrade later.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It all depends what you are looking to do. I overheated my XX and damaged my rings so when I took it apart I put in a stage 2 hotcam and 11:1 piston. It runs good for what I have seen so far. Bit I didn't plan on going for any bigger of a build. I didn't even really plan on this build but I figured since it was already apart might as well add some power
Did you notice much of a power gain when you went to 11:1 and hc2?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know where you ride but IMO for the same price I would go with a HC3 and make more power. If you ride dunes I think it would be a better cam because it has more top end than the HC2 does and I know when I'm in the dunes I’m flying and not to worried about the low end power. Just my 2 cents
since I probably wont start this until the end of next month I will have to see how my finances are and go from there. just a lot of extra parts to buy for the hc3, not to mention all the core charges.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe one of the guys much smarter than me will jump in on this one but I thought all the Hot Cams were drop in with stock springs and rockers.
oh. I was looking at the webb cam site.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
hmmm. maybe its time to apply for a new credit card! haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.