Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wheels are getting powder coated black. My question is about the hubs. Can they be removed fairly easily so I can coat them also? What about the wheel studs? Can they be removed also? Anybody done this could offer some advise?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yes, just make sure and remove the bearings and all the grease. Spin the lug nuts back on and drive the studs out. Make sure your powdercoater plugs the splined lug bolt holes and the center up or it is a PIA. Learned that the hard way once.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
With good luck and a few cans of brake parts cleaner I would say 2-3 hours to get them off and prepped. Probably little more to put back together, having to be careful not to mess up the new powdercoat driving the studs and bearing back in. What color, red?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Also be sure to mask off the outside of the rear hubs where they fit back inside the bearings. I had a hard time removing one of my rear hubs, as the inner race of the bearing was seized to the hub.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With good luck and a few cans of brake parts cleaner I would say 2-3 hours to get them off and prepped. Probably little more to put back together, having to be careful not to mess up the new powdercoat driving the studs and bearing back in. What color, red?
Was gonna do them in black also.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usaully just spray paint them or paint by hand and cover the vital bits with masking tape.
I was wanting it to look like the 09 model hubs. Should I just mask them off and spray paint them while they are still on the bike?

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i guess i'll have them powder coated too then. just wanna make sure i do it right. So as to avoid any problems putting it back together.

·
Registered
671 Posts
For sure have to remove the bearings and seals, but shouldn't have to remove the studs, they can just be taped off. I know a guy who does powder coating and he will actually remove the bearings himself, just have to pay him a little extra. Bearings are a pain to remove, especially if you want to reuse them.

Doug

·
Registered
671 Posts
Should just be able to wrap some tape around them, that is what my powder coater does.

Doug

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok you were correct Doug. I talked to the Powder Coater and he said he has temperature resistant tape that he can wrap the threads of the studs with. So i'm gonna leave them in.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also be sure to mask off the outside of the rear hubs where they fit back inside the bearings. I had a hard time removing one of my rear hubs, as the inner race of the bearing was seized to the hub.
Aaron, can you explain to me what i should have the P.C.er mask off in order to avoid having problems putting the bearings back in. Thanks!
Gonna drop everything off Friday.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you leave the studs in, make sure he masks off the heads on the back of the hub as well. That is why I have always removed mine, it will make them stand out more.

The bearing mating surfaces on the rear hubs is what he was talking about. You will see when you take them off. There are two places to watch: where the hub goes in the bearing and where the outer face of the inner race mates up against the hub.

·
Registered
538 Posts
man you guys sure have a lot of time on your hands ;) i bet they'll look bitchin when done. post some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
i spray painted mine on the bike over a year ago and they still look really good but i did go all out and buy some $10 spray paint. poweder coating would look good but not for the price especially if your only going black.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.