Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got some shiny new polished Douglas .190, 4/144, 10X7 4.0 + 3.0 wheels from rockymountain. Possibly the last pair on earth, seeing as how long they've been out of stock....

Only draw back is they're polished. I'll be powdercoating them flat black asap and mounting the new razr2's. Has anyone else had theirs powdercoated? If so, how does the powdercoat hold up?

Obviously they'll start to get scratched up as soon as I hit the trail, I'm just wondering if they're gonna scratch up as quick as the stockers did? Which was pretty quick...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree. I don't think the powdercoat will look as nice as the polished once they start getting scratched up.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're definitely gonna get all scratched up like the stock black rims did, but I'm trying to keep the whole blacked out look going.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I beg to differ with you guys. My RAZR2's on mine stick out much further than the wheel lip and i ride the shit out of my quad. They dont have any noticeable scratches or anything on them. I had the same wheels powdercoated gloss black to match my front ones. I recommend the gloss over the flat though. Flat will look like you spray painted them. Mine look good.

This is the only pic I had of the rears in polish. The fronts are the 11" ers with razr1's on them. Then i used my head and got some RAZR2, so here is my 4wd 700xx lol

After powdercoating and the correct front wheel...

After 2 years of abuse...

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great pics Swope. The rears still look new. Did you go with the 22 inch tires?

I'll post some pics when I get the new rims and tires on. I wound up going with a matte black so it will have some shine to it. Running razr2's all around and some g-force rims up front. Never used g-force rims before but they seem decent and they came in black so it saved me the trouble of having all four powdercoated. Not to mention they came all mounted from rockymountain.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but matte black will not have a shine to it but will be more of a flat black. I think it will look very nice when u first get them done but will show the scratches. Either way I'm sure they will be nice wheels because I am a fan of the blacked out look but was always afraid to try it so be sure to post some pics.

·
Registered
151 Posts
looking good i have black rims on mine non stockers and they dont scratch up when using regular razr rears and razr2 fronts however i dont ride on rocks

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got a chance over the weekend to try out the Razr2's. Night and day difference over the stockers! Great traction, doesn't push like it used to and getting much more power to the ground!

Haven't tried any other tires besides stock but I'm loving the Razr2's and I highly reccomend them to anyone looking for new tires!

:xx:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
What pressure are you running in yours? I'm running 6 in the front and 2.5 in the rears.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran 4.5 up front and 5 in the rear. Am I running too much in the rear? That was the same pressure I ran in the stock tires.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Mine might be a tad low in the rear but I ride some pretty rocky terrain. I'd play around with more and less pressure and see what you come up with.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine might be a tad low in the rear but I ride some pretty rocky terrain. I'd play around with more and less pressure and see what you come up with.
I ride alot of rocky terrain too, as well as alot of tight trails with exposed roots etc. I was running the front a little low to help soak up some of the impact and the rears I honestly just lowered the pressure about a lb under stock reccomendation to help smooth out the ride.

Any advice on pressure is definitely helpful as this is my first quad, been riding dirt bikes for years and got the TRX to ride with my girl. She has a TRX250X and its just better when we're all on four wheels.

Had too many close calls when she would crawl up a big hill, stopping to wait for me at the top and I would get airborne practically landing on her on my YZ.

Was very sweet of her to wait for me but I don't think she understood the idea of momentum being a little more important on two wheels... lol

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
lol yea i know how that goes. Drop them down to 2-3lbs and see how you like them. I can seriously crawl on rocks with out any problems.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks I'll give that a try. How is it running 6 up front? Is it better to run higher pressure for handling? I do alot of uphills with roots and rocks to get over and thought there's less chance of the front end popping up on me with a little less pressure up front.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I like 6 because when i'm hauling ass the front doesn't feel spongy. I've hit some nasty shit with mine and it takes a licken' and keeps on ticken. I doubt you'd feel much difference from 5 to 6lbs.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again. Next time out I'll play around with the pressure and let you know how I make out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts