Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the last thread went real bad I thought I should explain this new product. PRM made us this tank because we asked Dan if he could make us someway to store gas for prerunning really long sections down in Baja. When we are prerunning down there we often have to cover over 100 miles with only the fuel that we can carry. And for me that meant that I would shove two one gallon containers in a backpack and ride through Baja.

So, as far as catching fire. If you screw up and spill gas all over the pipe wile you are trying to fill up that tank, you probably deserve it. The fill neck for the tank is on the opposite side of the quad. I have seen several guys catch there bike/quad on fire from overfilling there stock tanks and letting it run all over there motors and header pipes.

This new product from PRM is all rubber mounted so cracking should not be a problem. Are last grab bars/tool trays had some cracks in them after about 2 or 3 thousand miles on them. So on this new product PRM has rubber mounted it. The normal tool tray comes bolted together as two sprat pieces so were it is bolted it can flex and not crack. PRM has also rubber mounted there bumpers for the 700xx to fix the cracking on them as well.

I hope that we can keep this a positive thread.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
tried to erase sorry please disregaurd

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Yeah! the last thread was getting a little bit personal and nasty, thanks for the info Wayne.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Well said Wayne, Was this a product you asked PRM to fit you with or do other runners use something similar?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank came about from Dan the owner of PRM. He came to a
Best In The Desert race last year, and watched us come into the first pit of the race in third place, we were so close to first that if we had the ability to carry a Little bit more gas than we could have taken first right there. So after the race was over he asked me about a reserve tank for racing. I told him that I was not racing BITD this year so a tank like that would not be needed for racing, but in Baja it would be a big help for prerunning. We don't need it for the races because the Honda pits are spread out every 50 to 55 miles. And at race speed we can make it about 60 to 65 miles, so they have us covered there. PRM has been a great company to work with, they listen to what we have to say and are always looking for new ways to improve there product.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How dose it hook up too the fuel pump??

·
Registered
306 Posts
And is there a vent similar to the main tank.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
It vents to the stock tank.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
How about making a smaller aluminum tank that mounted like a oil resivoir that had a small fuel pump that activated with the reserve light. When it turns on it just pumps what it has to the main tank could be low pressure pump and all be pretty light weight and automated and have a much lower center of gravity than strapping 20pds of sprung weight effecting your shock.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
How about making a smaller aluminum tank that mounted like a oil resivoir that had a small fuel pump that activated with the reserve light. When it turns on it just pumps what it has to the main tank could be low pressure pump and all be pretty light weight and automated and have a much lower center of gravity than strapping 20pds of sprung weight effecting your shock.
I don't see the setup you mention being to viable. This setup would cost upwards of 400$ and hold less than a gallon of gas. The sprung weight wouldn't really matter either in a prerun where Wayne said they use it. In a normal race they have pit stops which the IMS tank performs as needed.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
You do a pre-run to get familiar with the course, Not to go out there and run it like your racing. Any skilled rider is familiar with there quad, Adding a little weight for a prerun and then taking it off to race will not slow them down one bit.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
don't look into it so much.... it's just a tank for some extra gas while prerunning... sometimes they're out there for miles at a time with no pit stops...except their chase vehicles... it might be very beneficial for other riders who take very long trips...

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I wasn't trying to be rash with you. As far as the prerun conditions, Not everyone has multiple quads to run whenever they like. Yes, you would want to ride you race quad but as I said you are not running the prerun wide open and a experienced rider is familiar with his quad and can adjust to these minor changes.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I'm leaning towards this guy being a current member with two accounts.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
If you didn't pre-run a desert race ,you would not change anything.
Do a pre-run you learn the terrain , conditions and obsticales(?)
Even a dumb ass brit knows this.:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts