Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just became the lucky owner of a new 08 700xx this past week. And like most of you, I'm already looking at upgrades.

Because I ride a lot in West Virgina (lots of rock), my first upgrade is going to be under armor protection for the frame and a-arms.

Now, on my 400ex, I had Pro-Armor and ran it for 4 years without issue. But, with the 700xx I was thinking of the Ricochet because of the high lip on the a-arm protectors. The only thing is, I don't like the fact that the screw heads are exposed and not counter sunk like Pro-armor or PRM. And, PRM offers different thickness on the protection.

I see that you guys seem to be running all of these brands...

Would you please provide your input on what has and hasn't worked?

Thanks much in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I just looked and didn't find anyone that has Ricochet that is made for the 700xx.
Myself, I use DG Baja skid plate and PRM side bars. Like PRM the DG skid plates come in different thicknesses. One note on the DG... They didn't have a hole for the the oil breather tube... But that's a simple fix with a drill. You will find that you have much better ground clearance with the 700xx than you did with the 400ex... you'll go right over rocks that would hang up most SRA quads.

roadkill

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just got the Ricochets. Best skids on the planet. I have them on my Gade also. Never had a problem with the exposed bolts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
PRM gets my vote

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I have the ricochet a-arm guards and they're best that I've used mainly due to its height, it really covers the a-arm and due to its front shield, it deflects most of the debris away. Oh! Yeah! forgot to mentioned there are 3 of us that are using them on our bikes, DaGirl71 and DE700

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have DG pro baja skids and they were perfect to install. Took 2 minutes max and really take a beating. I also have DG nerfs and they have made it through several mishaps and they do great. I had pro armor before but they cracked at the weld joints in the front bumper and on the nerfs. I was also told I was on my own with the pro armor and they wouldn't warranty it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would go with anything other than Pro Armor!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would go with anything other than Pro Armor!!
I second this. I do not like Pro Armor. I would stay away from AC racing and Pro Armor. Pro Armor has had numerous weld failures and AC racing will send you product with no directions and when you call them they consider it common knowledge but couldn't tell me where each bolt went and why I had 6 attachment points and 13 bolts, 13 nuts, and 32 washers. Didn't make sense so I sent it back and got Dg and awfully happy I did. I have the PRM rear tool chest and it fit great and has held up good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! I ended up going with PRM for two primary reasons:
a) Wayne Mattlock runs them and PRM as I understand it did a lot of R&D time with him.
b) Carie from PRM took a lot of time to explain to me why they did things the way they did.

That counts for me.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the other manufacturers do quality work as well. I just had to decide and PRM won the day.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Thanks everyone! I ended up going with PRM for two primary reasons:
a) Wayne Mattlock runs them and PRM as I understand it did a lot of R&D time with him.
b) Carie from PRM took a lot of time to explain to me why they did things the way they did.

That counts for me.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the other manufacturers do quality work as well. I just had to decide and PRM won the day.
Don't get me wrong PRM is great stuff but making your decision because Matlock is using it, doesn't mean they're their best (even though their stuff is very good) PRM is more likely one of his sponsors!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Cant go wrong with PRM, awesome stuff. Tuff as nails.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't get me wrong PRM is great stuff but making your decision because Matlock is using it, doesn't mean they're their best (even though their stuff is very good) PRM is more likely one of his sponsors!!
Actually AC racing was my sponsor when I stated the 700xx project with Honda. I used there stuff on all my 450Rs, But when they made me the skid plat for the 700xx I was not happy with the way it was made and the way it fit. We tried a couple different manufactures and had the same result. That is when I bought one from PRM, the mounting hard wear was off a little on the first one but it held up for the Baja 500 on the first try. Since then I have worked with the owner of PRM to come up with the toughest skid plate hands down for the 700XX. And trust me when I tell you we beat the living crap out of that quad. I have had the same PRM skid plate on my pre runner for thousands of miles and it is still bolted tight.

And yes PRM is one of our teams sponsors now. But that being said we could have chosen any aluminum company to sponsor our team. We chose to work with PRM because they want there products to be the best in the industry. They don't spend tons of money paying top motocross racers to run there product. They spend there money R&Ding in the deserts of Baja, so people like us can have good quality aluminum products.

·
Registered
671 Posts
PRM all the way in my opinion. When I first started racing in 2006, I was running a DG belly skid and swingarm skid on my 450R. I was having to replace them after every race. After three races even the belly skid was looking pretty sad. I switched to PRM, and did not replace a swingarm skid for over a year. The belly skid I bought back then is still in use on my other 450R, still going strong. I will always run PRM, and I have to pay full price for them. Their stuff holds up great, didn't even give it a second thought when I needed a belly skid for my 700XX, PRM was the only place I called.

This may be the case for some pro's, but not with Wayne. Knowing Wayne the way I do, he will only run something if it works and will help him win, not because he got it for free. If Wayne runs something, you know it will work.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Wayne

Sorry if I step on your toes, didn't mean to. Should have said you're correct about PRM, they do have great stuff which I've used on all my bikes for years, I was trying to say that there are other companies out there that also make great products like PRM. I really like my Ricochet A-Arm covers, they have some good protection on the front end where it will deflect the debris before it can do any damage where the other companies guards they are made to cover only the bottom of a-arm.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You cant beat the PRM quality. I have cased many a rock that I thought should have ripped the whole underside off and the skid wasnt even dented. I just like their product. The only problem I have had is the vibration in the side bars but a few little holes and some silicone pumped into the took care of most of the vibration. The Ricochet is good too, its on the belly of my Prairie for about 5 years now and have never had to tighten a bolt on it so I think both are good products.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts