Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm working on a turbo 700 right now, besides from trying to figure out if it's really necessary for an intercooler, I need to find out what's the best programmer out to tune with. I will have pictures up as soon as I figure out the intercooler situation. If anyone as any info on the programmers that are out right now and care to share their information about it, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The Power Commander or Vortex ECU would be your best options and can do everything needed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It is self tuneable, the powercommander 5 has a seperate input for an add on sensor(probably good for boost). It also has capability of switching between 2 maps on the fly. And you can get a wideband 02 sensor and watch what it does on alaptop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're going turbo you will need to have it tuned. I dont think there is any map out there for a turbo xx. Also, I would definitely run a intercooler.
Well there are to scenarios I'm playing with right now on where to mount it, if I can figure out a safe way to run the piping. But I'm also worried about water hitting it, as hot as it gets I wouldn't want to crack the exhaust housing. So I'm playing around with it right now. But I'm trying to figure out if there are self tunable ones

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is self tuneable, the powercommander 5 has a seperate input for an add on sensor(probably good for boost). It also has capability of switching between 2 maps on the fly. And you can get a wideband 02 sensor and watch what it does on alaptop.
Well I ran across a dynojet one that has an O2 sensor that plugs in and adjusts itself to the proper A/F ratio, but I don't know how well is it. But I'm going to try and read more up on that one I'm just basically getting testimonies on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The turbine housing will not crack. I'm not saying go submerge it red hot in water but you'll be fine. I've seen red hot turbo headers dumped in water due to impatience and stupidity. That header didn't crack but is also had really good welds. A solid cast turbine housing should be fine.
Well I'm leaning more towards where the air box use to be it's the safest place for it. No muffler just straight pipe out the back and piping can be squeezed between the motor and frame for the intercooler. Oh the turbo choice is between a t15 and a t25.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would really love to see this finished. I got some tractor weights you could put on front to keep it down....

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Is it self tunable or do you have to download different maps for it?
There are no systems currently available that will give you an optimum turbo tune all on it's on. The PCV w/autotune is sketchy even on a naturally aspirated build.

Well I'm leaning more towards where the air box use to be it's the safest place for it. No muffler just straight pipe out the back and piping can be squeezed between the motor and frame for the intercooler. Oh the turbo choice is between a t15 and a t25.
I wouldn't suggest putting the turbo where the airbox is due to the heat it will create and all of the wiring in the area much less with a foam seat above it.
If you'd run an intercooler which would be advisable having the turbo in the rear would create a ton of piping that would look monstrous.

Have you thought this all the way out yet? Not being smart ass I'm just wondering at what stage in this you are. Injectors, how much boost, any internal mods, fuel, turbo sizing etc etc?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well where I plan on sitting the turbo at under the seat more then likely isn't what you are thinking of. But the piping for the intercooler is mainly the reason why I'm debating on having one. I'm not that far along into this project yet I've only been tinkering for 2 weeks time but had the idea for months so it will all come together.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I think the turbos you selected for the build are kinda big, You're turbo lag would be pretty outragious since those came off cars and this motor is only 686cc. I would call precision and ask for help selecting the right size turbo for this application. Also for the sake of intercooler piping and exhaust I would mount the turbo in front of the motor with a possible heat shield over the turbine housing. A tiny turbo filling all that intercooler piping to the back of the quad will also increase turbo lag. There are much smaller turbos out there that are much more suited to the xx than the t15 or t25

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the turbos you selected for the build are kinda big, You're turbo lag would be pretty outragious since those came off cars and this motor is only 686cc. I would call precision and ask for help selecting the right size turbo for this application. Also for the sake of intercooler piping and exhaust I would mount the turbo in front of the motor with a possible heat shield over the turbine housing. A tiny turbo filling all that intercooler piping to the back of the quad will also increase turbo lag. There are much smaller turbos out there that are much more suited to the xx than the t15 or t25
Street bike setups run either a t15 which is small or a t25. There is a kit for the cbr 600 which comes with a t25 now I know theier rev limit is much higher and trans is different so I don't see the problem with a t15. Honestly a t12 by looking at the charts, looks small. Trial and error that's what Im doing.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Trial and error will cost you. Call precision and see what they recommend. A 4 cylinder street bike is totally different application than the single 700. Do the leg work and do it right the first time. If not it'll end making you spend tons of cash. I've been down this road with my eclipse gsx and I worked for a turbo performance shop for 3 years fabricating. Make the call!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeah, even though the bike motor is only 600, its 4cylinders and moving a lot more cfm through the pipe than a big single. I would love to have one with mybe 6psi setup for trails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trial and error will cost you. Call precision and see what they recommend. A 4 cylinder street bike is totally different application than the single 700. Do the leg work and do it right the first time. If not it'll end making you spend tons of cash. I've been down this road with my eclipse gsx and I worked for a turbo performance shop for 3 years fabricating. Make the call!
I understand what your saying completely I have an srt4 neon with a 55 trim. It doesn't kick full boost until 3500. But it's not going to cost anything for the different turbos because I already have a t12, t15, and a t25 at my disposable.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Most Raptor turbo kits are T25, If I remember correctly I don't believe Precision even makes a turbo small enough for an ATV. As far as the intercooler piping is concerned the lag time created will be very minimal. It would seem that the extra volume would take time to fill but it doesn't, Not to mention the considerable amount of power your going to lose from high IAT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Precision does make a t12 buy I've already talked to Raptor turbo owners on you tube and on a stock motor they are actually running a t28. So I know a t15 will spool quick. They are running 10lbs on stock I'm shooting for 8lbs and seeing how the motor takes it. Really I dont know how anyone could say which turbo to run if they haven't done one on this bike yet. This thread was only for me to figure out the best program to go with. I just wish more people come forth with info on programmers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts