Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
An update for you all:
The welds on my front bumper cracked also. So Partyboy's was not a fluke bad weld. But a badly engineered joint.
As for the nerf bars, Look great and no problem with dirt build up in lose stuff. BUT snow or sticky mud will render both your shift lever and brake pedal in operable, nice!! The biggest problem with those nerf bars is, You can't get the toe of a moto boot under the shifter. I tried moving the shifter up a few notches but had to move it so high that I had to completely lift my foot off the peg to down shift. I've had to cut the pan from the pegs forward out. Leaving the heal cups and nerf bars. Works fine now.
Skid plates and grab bar, no problems.
Recomendation: Stay away from the nerf bars and front bumper.
PRM...You need help in the engineering department and alittle more field testing of your products

·
Registered
66 Posts
ZX1200R, I was reading on here last week that a couple other brands of front bumpers were breaking too, can't remember what thread it was in. I wonder if the front of the frame on the xx is flexing and breaking the welds. Also double check the bolts on each side of your nerfs that are up the highest right behind those little plastic shields. Both of mine vibrated out.

Oh, and over where you ride (we call it the moon) The Norfolk Police were over there two months ago behind the warehouse and a couple weeks ago on our side the Franklin Police actually were out there on foot before anyone had even started riding for the day and they took Brian's quad. They claim that they'll be monitoring the area on the Police quads for the rest of the summer. Apparently the people who illegally walk their dogs over there have been filing complaints.

If you do get a chance to come over the tracks though, Brian built some doubles, Triples and pretty big jumps and step ups with a kabota a couple weeks ago. I've hit most of them on the xx, but probably won't be out there this summer. I've been trying to get a house with 30 acres to make my own playground out in western mass.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I bought a PRM skidplate for my wife's Raptor 250 and the chain rubs against it so bad that I had to take it off. I am having my freinds shop tack an aluminum spacer on the front end of it so I can still use it. They were prompt to respond to my "concerns" but only offered to look at the pictures once we fixed the problem for them!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi, Party....Haven't had any problems with stuff coming lose, blue Loctite, great stuff !!!
Thanks for the heads up. I just got back about a week ago, wondered why I'm not hearing or seeing anybody.
Why did they take Brian's quad ?? Isn't that his own land, over there.
How does it work in MASS. Like if I was ridding on Brian's land, do I need written land owner permission ?
Planning to haul my toys to northern Maine, where we are still allowed to free range and not considered criminals.
I've seen plenty of, dog walkers, MT. bikers and families, at the moon. Always give them right of way, stop and talk with the kids and so on. But, obviously somebody has not been keeping up the "public relations". Hope it is not to late.
Good luck with the home buyying. Where in western MASS.??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Brian wasn't on his land. He had just gone over the tracks and was idling down that little trail before you go into the woods and cross the streams to get to the moon. That's where the Franklin PD was. MA law says you have to have written permission, I think all the states around here do, including Maine. It's just a different way of life up there (better way). If you're ever over Brians though, we made a bunch of permission slips/waivers to cover his ass and he'll gladly give one to you.
I did a lot of riding up around Freeport ME last summer, the trails around there are nuts, but I'm definitely going to get some new rims and Kenda Bear Claws on the back of the xx before I go back, There is a LOT of mud.
I'm choosing between a couple different houses in Franklin county, a couple are about a mile from the VT border. They've all got over 20 acres of land and easy enough access to power lines and trail systems.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had a PRM six pack rack on my last quad I had to have it welded were it started to crack after 2 rides. After 2 or 3 more rides it broke in half in a different place. I eventually had my welder buddy make a decent rack out of it. :steamed:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got news for you guys- The cracking is not PRM's fault.

The frame on the 700 flexes alot. This is what is causing the cracked welds. The frame was designed like this from Honda and this was the reason they come stock with a plastic bumper that allows for the flex. It was designed this way with some flex or "give" in the frame to keep from breaking other parts. Other quads are the same way and thats the reason many people gusset or reinforce the frames on race quads. We were told by Honda not to do this on the 700 because the flex was needed.

We found this out very early on in our testing because we were breaking or cracking the bumper mounts after installing an aftermarket bumper for racing. We had a couple of different solutions to the problem-

1. Drill out the stock welded nut on the bumper mounts. Use a rubber grommet and sleeve type set up that allows the bumper mounting bolts to flex with the frame. This is how all our race quads are done.

2. On my personal quad I tried something different. I cut the bumper mounts off the frame and welded tabs to the frame. I then mounted a TRX450R Roll-Design bumper to those mounts with a bolt setup that would allow it to flex with the frame. It is noisier and not as good as the rubber grommet setup.

PRM makes a great product. It does not matter what type of aftermarket bumper or grab bar you decide to mount, it will end up cracking in the long run if you don't rubber mount it and allow the flex.

The rear grab bar area of the frame also flexes but not nearly as much as the front of the quad. I don't think you will have many cracking issues with most aftermarket grab bars. The only type that may have an issue are the kind that don't allow any flex. We have been running PRM's grab bar with the little tool bag mounting area for over a year. The very first one we used finally cracked after running thousands of race miles on the the quad. I don't know of any other grab bar that would have held up to that punishment. I will continue to run PRM stuff on my quad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah that's what I guessed last year and told PRM, they claimed I was wrong. I'll eventually get mine rewelded and try that rubber grommet way, sounds like it should work.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I have the PRM Baja front grab bar and haven't seen any cracks or damage to the frame as of yet and I've used the grab bar to tow me out of serious area so I guess that I've been lucky. Knock on wood!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Josh, do you think you could take some pics of the rubber grommet/sleeve set up for mounting the front bumper?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Josh, do you think you could take some pics of the rubber grommet/sleeve set up for mounting the front bumper?
+1 (or just a little more detail for the not-so-savvy user)

getting ready to install new front bumper. Figured I'd do it right the first time...

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I will see what I can get. It may take a few days.
Josh

Have installed the new modified PRM rear tool kit grab bar and they sent me the stabilizer bars that attaches to the frame, did you installed them and if so, did you noticed there's about 2" between the attachment points under the tool kit, talk about mis-calculation. Think the stab plates were made for the original tool kit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We haven't used the upright supports. I do know PRM made some changes to the grab bar because a few people mentioned they were too tight between the mounting points. I also think they changed the depth of the tool bag carrier box and this may have changed the length of where those supports mount.

I would check with PRM and I'm sure they will fix the problem. They are really good about that stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Yeah! I just sent them an email concerning this. Think that you're correct about resizing the basket once they made some modifications. Usually they are pretty good towards responding and fixing any issues so I'm pretty sure they'll take care of it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts