Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone instead of getting a tooth smaller for the front sprocket i was wondering if getting 10 inch rims would do the same thing? My friend told me a tooth smaller would make a bigger difference for more low end then an inch smaller rim. The reason i am asking is because i would rather have 10 inch rims and lose that inch of ground clearence so i have more of a choice of tires. Also if i went an inch smaller on the rims and went a tooth smaller would that be too much low end? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
755 Posts
Going to a smaller rim would not change anything if the tires are still the same size. A 22" tire with a 10 or 11" rim would still be the same speed. However there are more choices with the 10" rim like 20" tires. 20" tires and 14T sprocket is very similar to 22" tires with 13T sprocket. Remember if you go to 20" tires, you loose ground clearance and it makes it about 50" wide total.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
i use the 10 inch rims and i had a 13t on there but in the sand i pretty much lost 1st gear and 2nd wasnt far behind. so i switched back to a 14t and my bike feels fine to me. it never hurts to try and feel it out the sprocket is only 25$ at most. it basicaly depends on how you want the bike to feel i also went to 20 inch tires in the sand

·
Registered
114 Posts
Put a 12:1 piston in and leave the stock gearing and tires.
What is the break point on the CR before you can't use pump gas anymore?
What is the stock CR, anybody know?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
"10:1" is stock, not sure what it actually measures out at by the math. Like the 700 Raptor is advertised at 9.2:1 its actually 8.8:1 by the math.
11.5:1 is the commonly accepted as the limit for premium pump gas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
unsure if there's a difference with octane issues between bikes and cars but here in Australia when building hillclimb/rally/race car engines with my cousin ( what he cant do and doesnt know about Datsun/Nissan engines lol...pretty sure Datrally doesnt ..) anything from 10.4:1 compression ratio was AVGAS or race fuel territory as it pings its head off

·
Registered
102 Posts
100+ from memory is where it starts we used to have an awesome pump fuel called Shell "OPTIMAX" was a guaranteed 100 octane ...best you could use legally on street as a pump fuel ...common AVGAS used is 100/130 octane ...

·
Registered
201 Posts
"10:1" is stock, not sure what it actually measures out at by the math. Like the 700 Raptor is advertised at 9.2:1 its actually 8.8:1 by the math.
11.5:1 is the commonly accepted as the limit for premium pump gas.
the '06 and newer trx450r's stock CR is 12:1 and runs on premium pump fuel. i think you could get away with that on the 700xxs?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Folks I had an extremly quick Can Am 450 and it run 12.1 on Hi Octane 98 here in AUS and never pinged once or gave any problems as far as I know it is still cracking. Oz I thought you could still get the 100% Optimax in AUS.

Overlord

·
Registered
445 Posts
There is no use comparing fuels between Oz & the USA as they use a different method of measurement.......in Oz we have 98 octane but its about the same as the best pump fuel in the USA at 92~94.......

Oz_Beast.....I wouldn't go any higher than 11:1 with the fuel available to you.

Linc

·
Registered
102 Posts
if I was to go higher man ...would be ordering fuel in 20litre drums from fuel oulet ...getting race grade fuel and paying the penalty to play ....

·
Registered
445 Posts
if I was to go higher man ...would be ordering fuel in 20litre drums from fuel oulet ...getting race grade fuel and paying the penalty to play ....
You would be better off making it your self......octane booster can be your friend.........just get a good one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
have a few mates who work doing line haul with b doubles ....who know some of the fuel haulers ...get the gear that way ...but hey ...gotta get used to the sucker first..lol..last quad I rode was a trx300 big red at home on the farm ...had well several THOUSAND hours on it ..lol....pretty flogged was farm vehicle and basically went 24/7

·
Registered
217 Posts
13 front, 20" rears, Torco race additive! GAME OVER!!!!!! Just changing the front sprocket with the skyscraper 22 rears just keeps you from stalling, adding the 20" height rears " ADDS THE TORQUE" Then put in a torco race mix of 110 octane and its a whooooooolle new ballgame!! My 700 is like a rocket 1-3!! Im totally happy! Always in the sweet spot!!:xx:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts