Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Greetings 700xx owners,

I am trying to settle on the most desired width and length characteristics for the 700xx. The length will be limited by the max misalignment angle of the cv's. +1 or +1.5 on the length shouldn't be a problem if we are going a few inches wider.

How wide would you all like to go? I think 49 inches might be a good max width just in case you want to go racing and you get some good after market tires which might push your width out closer to 50 inches.

Would you like me to keep the stock shock length so you can either get after market shocks or stay with your stock shocks? A little more width keeping the same springs will give you a little lower ride height. You could remedy this by adding a little more preload to your stock shocks.

Lend me your thoughts,
Andrew Ciasulli
Sonic Development Inc.
www.sonicoffroad.com
CV angle will only be effected by shock length, and mounting position. A-Arm length will have no effect on binding of the CV's.

The tech questions we need answered are.......

How long is the stock rear shock eye-to-eye?.

Will a longer aftermarket shock and different shock mount just result in a very high price?.........and low sales.

I suspect that the stock rear shock is "long travel length" but doesn't give us as much travel as possible.....If so we dont need a longer shock just a better one.

I have a few shocks in my "shed" and all of the LT fronts are between 19" and 20.5" long.......

IMO....2 shock mounts (bolt-in eye & clevis) in the stock possition on +1.5" a-arms would be great. You could use stock or slightly longer aftermarket shocks and would give the customer alot of choice in setup without breaking the bank.

Linc

· Registered
445 Posts
I didn't realise you were looking at extending the wheel base.:yay: A longer wheel base would interest me as I'm in to long distance desert races where high speed straight line stability can be a great help.

3000+miles a week can take a hell of a toll on the body and mind; smooth and stable saves energy; energy reserves at the end of a hard week makes more of a difference than you may think. Most crashes in my kind of racing occur at the start when your full of beans or at the end when your too stuffed to hang on and you can't concentrate on the job at hand.

I have some great chassis pics at work that may help in your design process. I'll forward them tomorrow.

Linc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.