Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
wider rear will make steering worse, but moving the rear arms back will help. The perfect solution would be moving the rear arms back, and the front arms back too. that will centralize more weight towards the front, helping steering.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Ok so a wider rear will make slow speed turning worse? I thought I had read on here somewhere that it would help...

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Ok so a wider rear will make slow speed turning worse? I thought I had read on here somewhere that it would help...
Yes a wider rear would make low speed steering worse.

Think about it this way:

As you can see in this picture (so crudely drawn by me) the rear tires would have more leverage for the friction that they have in the "wide rear" than in the narrow one. Sorry about the arrows that are uneven I'm horrible at drawing things on a PC. Also in all fairness my drawing is exaggerated and not exactly representative of the +1 or +2 inch addition that Sonic is proposing which would not severely affect the under steer would would effect it none-the-less adversely.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think any adverse effects of a wider rear (which is usually accompanied by a wider front end as well) would be offset by moving the rear wheels back and shifting center of gavity forward (more weight on the front wheels) thus improving understeer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What's really killing me is, we are searching for a solution to a problem left by Honda that could potentially cost a couple thousand dollars on a machine we just paid several thousand on. I would really like to see a low cost solution that will keep us from ending up in the bushes while on the trail.

Sorry, just venting!

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The bike actually steers well when you sit up on the seat as intended. Its just old habit to sit towards the back and slide around like you were on a SA.

Trailin Me (Dave is it?) Its know that the Razr's on the front made a dramatic difference but does it steer better over stock with your Razr's all the way around?

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Here's something else to consider. Straight paddles (which is what I bought) will also cause under steer more so than angled paddles. They are supposed to be better for sand drags and hill climbs though.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Yep, Straight paddles do not allow the tire or turf to shift and ease the stress of steering with a live axle. Angle paddles allow the tires to shift/unload

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Shock data for A-arms Lets get things rolling

I just received the lead time information on the axles. We are looking at a 4-6 weeks. Lets get some order verifications going and I will get production under way. Send me an email and let me know who is in [email protected] .

Shock information. Stock shocks will work.

If using fox shocks Evol chambers won't get in the way. Piggy back shock will not fit. You must use external reservoir with at least 10" of hose.

Shock eyelet to eyelet dimension is 19.68 inches shock compressed length 14.68 inches. Total of 5 inches of shock travel.

Upper shock eyelet width 1.175"
lower eyelet width 1.175

Motion ratio measured every two inches of wheel compression.

first two 2.7:1
second two 2.35:1
third two 2.15:1
fourth two 2:1
fifth two 2:1

Best Regards,
Andrew Ciasulli
Sonic Offroad

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If I can get a minimum of 4 purchases secured from the members here I will give a one time deal 15% off as long as we can get some reviews posted up. The deadline to have your order in is 1/10/08 to get the discount. Delivery will be about 6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
The bike actually steers well when you sit up on the seat as intended. Its just old habit to sit towards the back and slide around like you were on a SA.

Trailin Me (Dave is it?) Its know that the Razr's on the front made a dramatic difference but does it steer better over stock with your Razr's all the way around?

I'm in total agreement with you on that. If you sit up near the tank and ride in an aggressive fashion, the XX handles/steers great at higher speeds. The only issue I have with it is it turns like a dump truck when you try to go slow around something.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With as short as I am on cash right now building another motor for the truck... I would love if there were some sort of try and buy, OR!!!!!! BETTER YET!!

Maybe we could get one of these sway bars mailed around, we make a list, and start with the top... that person gets it for a week. Then mails it to the next. Everyone puts in say $20 or something. I just am VERY leary of spending that kinda cash on something to tighten up the rear suspension... I ride on some of the harshest conditions on the east coast at Tower City... Sonic should be framiluar with this place, he's not far away from it. I bought the XX just becuase of this place, Im up there every month, camp there etc... The raptor was too harsh of a ride, I got tossed out of a car when I was 19 at 100MPH and have a bad hip, at 30 now, its starting to catch up on long weekends of riding... Not to mention the now 4 time dislocated shoulder LOL...

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.