Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Rear Splines

35K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  NineLivez2Go 
#1 ·
Has anybody checked to see if the spline size on the rear drive shafts is the same as a Honda SRA spline? I have a bunch of R, EX, and X tires on rims sitting around and looking for a cheap way to run them on the 700. If the spline size was the same, then the SRA hubs could be shortened and the OD turned down to match the ID of the bearing seal. I am going to try it, but wanted to see if anyone had checked this out.

#3 ·
I am using front hubs , spindles and stem of a 450r . Reverting back to stock because the 450r is almost sold . Never tried the rear hubs but will see if the splines are the same. I have also had a thought about 110mm rear hubs and with a bit of research , I think I have found something.
By using 110mm rear hub you maybe able to fit 9" rim to fit 18" tyres. I cannot find any 18x10x10 mx tyres in the UK but they do make them.:D

#5 ·
hmm....i've been looking at doing the same thing. I've actually gone to a salvage yard and pulled a bunch of hubs costing me a grand total of 10 dollars. havent really found anything that works but getting closer...i think we are on the same quest Lee.
Have you tried the honda small spline? Like on the 400EX, 300EX, and most everything else besides the oversized 250R splines.

#6 ·
I finally got around to checking on if the small honda spline hubs would fit, and it ended up being the same spline. I have a set of old aftermarket 4-110mm hubs that I am going to use. Still need to have the first 1" turned down to fit the knuckle bearing ID. I will let you know how this works out.

#8 ·
Sorry guys, forgot about this post.
The 700xx rear splines are the same as 450r rear splines.
If you machine the rear hub of the 450r to fit the 700xx bearing . Keeping the 450r stock overall length then stock 9" rims will fit . A spacer is needed for 8" rear rims.
I found a OEM Honda hub that might do the job as a swap with 110mm pcd. Cannot remember the model, I'll find my notes and let you know.
Would you believe I have 400 pages of notes ,Ideas and alternate oem parts that might make life easier and I've only had my 700xx for 12 months. :D

#9 ·
I have found my notes.
The hub needs shaving down to 34mm .
The alternate hub is off a 2009 Rancher AT TRX420FA.
Part # 42610-HP7-AO0 . At $34 each , I was going to buy a pair and try them. The only thing that might let them down is the offset.
Hope this helps as it uses the same bearing as the 700xx.
Sorry for the delay as I am trying to cure the overheating problem I have.
Should know and cure it tomorrow. :D

#10 ·
hey can u post some pics

#11 ·
Not actually tried the 420 hubs yet but they are ordered and will take about 10 days for delivery. Also ordered 450r hubs to see if it works.
The 420 hubs may or may not have differant splines, I hope not . We can only pray. :D

#12 ·
I would say I could tear my 420 apart and try in the meantime, but you already have yours ordered LOL.

#13 ·

The only concern that I have is the surface where the bearing face contacts the hub. The old set of hubs that I am using don't have as much meat as the stockers, and ended up with about 1/3 as much contact area. I am going to get the second one completed and see how they work. If it looks like it is going to be an issue. I will do the same with some 400EX hubs that I have, they are much thicker through that area and would have plenty of contact area for the bearing face. Also, I had a Rincon bearing laying there on the bench, slipped it on and I am not to sure that the Rincon hubs wouldn't work. I will let you know how these work out.

#14 ·
Nice work. You will only be able to use 10" rears with that hub. The 450r hubs give you a wider stance and be able to fit 9" rears , I think . Only done prilamary work and measurements on the 450r/9" combo.

Something is telling me that the 420 rear hubs would be very similar to what you have built.

#15 ·
The smaller lip was too much of a concern. I decided to save my EX hubs and went and bought some Rancher 420 hubs this morning. Look like they will work great. I need to get some washers though. The overall hub is about .4" narrower and you have to eat up some space between the nut and the hub. Need to paint them red and ride them a little. I will post some pics when they are done.

#17 · (Edited)
420 IRS Rancher hubs. Had to drill some washers out. The first one has to be drilled to clear the spline diameter.

They do clear the knuckle, just barely though.

Here is what they look like with the tires on.

Way wider.

The hubs are working great. Easy way to get to a 110mm bolt pattern. The rim offset on the specific tires shown is a little much for me. I am going to play around with all of the 110mm rims with tires on them that I have been unable to use.

#19 ·
Those are my fav tires, I've been wanting to accomplish the same thing you've done here since I've had my xx. I agree too, a bit wide, do you think stock wheels from say a 300ex or 400ex would give a norrower stance?

Great job btw, love those maxxis all tracs.

#26 ·
Those are my fav tires, I've been wanting to accomplish the same thing you've done here since I've had my xx. I agree too, a bit wide, do you think stock wheels from say a 300ex or 400ex would give a norrower stance?

Great job btw, love those maxxis all tracs.
Not sure, I have got a set of stock 400EX rims and tires somewhere. I will check. The 9" rims will be super close to fitting, so they may not even go on. But if they do go on, then they would have to be just as offset as these to clear the knuckle pivots. Afraid we are gonna have to have 10" or bigger rims to stay stock width.

#20 ·
AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!! Looks like you're about as wide as me or wider...

Did you have to machine the rancher hubs or were they a direct bolt in (i assume they were since you previously said the bearing was the same).

Also the washer you drilled, that was for the outside of the hub right ?

And how close is "just barely" clearing the knuckle ?

#21 ·
Direct bolt on.

Yes, outside. The Rancher hubs are .4" narrower.

Barely= very close. Close enough I painted them, ran them, and then took them back off just to check and make sure
I didn't rub any paint off. Less than .05". The angle makes is it hard to tell for sure. You definitely want good bearings or they would rub.

Hope I answered all your questions, typing buzzed!!!!!!!!!!!!

#28 ·
2009 TRX420FPA

REF# PART#REQ YOUR PRICE
01HUB, RR. WHEEL
42610-HP7-A00 002$44.64

yup, cross-referenced it, same part, the ones i was looking at were from older ones, they are 34.09 each, thats a little cheaper than new wheels for sure !!!

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

#32 ·
Perfect!! Just order a set of hubs from www.motosport.com
Couldn´t you put the washers on the inside of the hub for better clearance towards the knuckle? This is much cheaper then the adapters ivé got made for my last XX =)
I think you are thinking about it like a SRA. The width of the bearing surface on the hub has to match the width of the bearing pretty close. You could do what you are saying if you made a spacer to fit on the inside of the hub that would contact the face of the inner race on the outboard side of the bearing and one of the same width to slide over the half-shaft splines that would fit inside the bearing ID. Due to the limited clearance between the splines and the bearing ID, it would probably need to be a splined spacer to have enough material to hold up.

That is hard to explain without a picture. Did that make sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.